Friday, May 14, 2010

Cotton Ketchie

We had a little excitement last night.  My mom has been having back pain for quite some time - or as she describes it, pain in her butt!  It's her sciatica and I know from past experiences how that feels!  She's gone to a chiropractor for almost a year, but the last time I took her to the doctor, he suggested she try Rehab instead.  So, for the past month or two that is what she has done.  She called me Tuesday night and was really hurting.  It got so bad yesterday that my sister took her to the doctor.  They sent her to the hospital - in an ambulance since she hurt too much to get in my sister's car.  They gave her an injection for pain and sent her home with a prescription for pain pills.  Today she was much better so let's hope she continues to feel ok. 
Tonight my two sisters, myself and my mom had dinner at the Prickley Pear Restaurant in Mooresville.  Marianne and I love their Prickley Pear Margaritas!  Yummm.  After a delicious dinner, we headed to the Mooresville Library to hear Cotton Ketchie speak.  Mr. Ketchie is a local artist who does some wonderful watercolors.  He also has started writing and has written 3 books.  Pulling out two of his books, "Memories of a Country Boy," and "A Country Boy's Education," Ketchie read passages from two of his books.  His purpose in writing the books and doing some of his art is to portray Mooresville the way HE remembes it and to preserve the town's heritage.  Excerpts Ketchie read included tales about his former neighbors; sleeping on a corn husk mattress with his siblings; his school, which had the greatest lunchroom cooks he knew and his family.  If you are in the area, I would suggest a visit to Landmark Galleries to look at his work.  Check out some of his paintings HERE. 

1 comment:

Wanda in NC said...

Sharon, I'm so glad your mom is feeling better. I knew when you stated she had pain meds for it, that it would work for her. But I hate that she's going to be on them for quite sometime. Some pain meds can get your depressed, so be watching out for her while she's on them. I've had that siatic nerve pain and it's no fun. Mine came the last time from lifting a bag of dirt.