Monday, June 30, 2008
Sunday, June 29, 2008
Saturday, June 28, 2008
Thursday, June 26, 2008
Seven random/weird things about me ..... guess I should be glad I'm the one coming up with these and not my family!!
1. I hate to exercise - even though I'm a member of the "Y" - probably wouldn't go if my guilt didn't kick in when my hubbie goes!!
2. If I lived alone, I would probably always eat all my meals standing at the kitchen sink or at the computer!!
3. I hate to clean!! Especially, the bathroom.
4. My favorite childhood memories include trips to Lake Waccamaw and the ice cream truck driving through the neighborhood on hot sticky summer nights.
5. I don't like confrontations. (although, I've had more than my share in the past few months!)
6. The toilet paper roll HAS to be pulled over the top. I go crazy when I visit my daughter because she does it the other way!! So wrong! LOL
7. Me and a posse of friends once followed (while in college) a couple of bands who had backed up the Beach Boys at a college (ECU) concert from Greenville to Raleigh (they invited us to a party!). It was the Strawberry Alarm Clock (Inscense and Peppermint ...) and Buffalo Springfield (Neil Young & Steven Stills). We got to Raleigh only to join them while they were eating in a motel restaurant. That was the extent of the "party"!! So we headed back to campus only to find the whole town locked down because of Martin Luther King being assassinated. We were stopped by the National Guard!! A whole other story!
Well, that was a trip down memory lane!! I am tagging:
Lisa - http://glitternfool.com/
Jackie - http://shortwizard.blogspot.com/
Beth - http://papertrailz.blogspot.com/
Brenda - http://tappstampers.typepad.com/tappstampers/
Jan - http://stampspaperscissors.typepad.com/stamps_paper_scissors/
Roxy - http://stampingwithroxy.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Kim - http://kimevans.typepad.com/stamping_with_kim/
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Tuesday, June 24, 2008
The different categories of the swaps I did are:
FRESH AND FUN (using a stamp set that will be in the new catalog that comes out in August)
I did this card in blues using Riot of Petals - my very favorite background stamp. It will be on the dormant list instead of in the catalog (but we only just found this out). I hope that does not mean it will be gone when the Winter catalog is released!
CLEARLY COOL swap - making a card using acetate. I just love these cards! I used the leaf from the set, With Gratitude.
TECHNICALLY TERRIFIC (utilizing a technique)
I did the grid technique. It is super easy with the Scor-Pal!! I used the leaf set from Embrace Life and the saying is from All Holidays.
HOW THE WEST WAS WON (western themed card)
For this card, I used the Western Sky designer paper. I just love that paper!! I made a tent card and used my star punches.
COASTER SWAP (making something from a chipboard coaster)
This is the sticky note holder that I showed you how to make in an earlier post.
WINGED THINGS- self explanatory!
I embossed in white on the black cardstock and used the bird from the Always set that I just ordered.
I also did an ATC (trading card size) technique swap. That was rather easy and the hostess will make a card from our ATC and send it to us.
Hope you enjoy seeing these cards!
I invited my mom and sister to come over for dinner Sunday night. We were going to put some chicken and shrimp on the grill and I was going to boil a few ears of corn. Plus, we stopped at a roadside stand on the way back from Hickory and purchased watermelon and cantelope, so thought I'd cut that up and serve it. Well, about 6:00 the skies opened up and we had a gully-washer .... raining cats and dogs, thunder, lightning, hail. Around 6:30, our electricity went out. Sooooo ..... what to do about dinner??? Mom and Angela got caught in the storm coming to our house and had to stop a few times to wait it out. Sonny was finally able to go outside a little after 7:00 to start the grill and do some cooking. We ended up putting the corn on the grill with the chicken and shrimp and it was delicious. We ate about 8:00 - by candlelight. After dinner, it stopped raining long enough for us to sit outside for about 20 minutes before the storm came back. After our family left, Sonny and I enjoyed a nice game of Scrabble. Don't know how long it's been since we played that game, but it was fun and I ALMOST won. We don't take the time anymore to just do things together like playing games without the TV or computer being our entertainment. It was nice. Not knowing how long our power would be out, we turned off the A/C and opened our bedroom windows. We actually stayed comfortable all night. The power did not come back on until about 4:30 in the morning.
Sunday, June 22, 2008
In the meantime, ever-resourceful Hertz had another idea. There were cars sitting in his company garage that hadn't been converted to taxis yet. Why not offer his excess autos to people who wanted to rent a car for a brief time? Adding to his fleet by buying out a man who had started a small rental operation, Hertz went on to create the first major car-rental company in the United States. The Hertz Rent-A-Car company still uses yellow as its corporate color.
~Strange and Interesting Facts About Famous Brand Names by "Dr. Knowledge" Charles Reichblum
Saturday, June 21, 2008
- Take a 10-30 minute walk every day. And while you walk, smile. It is the ultimate anti-depressant.
- Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day.
- Buy a DVR and tape your late night shows and get more sleep.
- When you wake up in the morning complete the following statement, 'My purpose is to __________ today.'
- Live with the 3 E's—Energy, Enthusiasm, and Empathy.
- Play more games and read more books than you did in last year.
- Make time to practice meditation, and prayer. They provide us with daily fuel for our busy lives.
- Spend time with people over the age of 70 and under the age of 6.
- Dream more while you are awake.
- Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants and eat less food that is manufactured in plants.
- Drink green tea and plenty of water. Eat blueberries, wild Alaskan salmon, broccoli, almonds & walnuts.
- Try to make at least three people smile each day.
- Clear clutter from your house, your car, your desk and let new and flowing energy into your life.
- Don't waste your precious energy on gossip, OR issues of the past, negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment.
- Realize that life is a school and you are here to learn. Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away like algebra class but the lessons you learn will last a lifetime.
- Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a college kid with a maxed out charge card.
- Smile and laugh more. It will keep the negative blues away.
- Life isn't fair, but it's still good.
- Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
- Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
- You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree. (MY FAVORITE along with the next one)
- Make peace with your past so it won't spoil the present.
- Don't compare your life to others'. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
- No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
- Frame every so-called disaster with these words: 'In five years, will this matter?'
- Forgive everyone for everything.
- What other people think of you is none of your business.
- Remember God heals everything.
- However good or bad a situation is, it will change. (I HOPE)
- Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.
- Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.
- Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
- The best is yet to come.
- No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
- Do the right thing!
- Call your family often.
- Each night before you go to bed complete the following statements: I am thankful for _______. Today I accomplished ____.
- Remember that you are too blessed to be stressed.
- Enjoy the ride. Remember this is not Disney World and you certainly don't want a fast pass. You only have one ride through life so make the most of it and enjoy the ride.
- Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Friday, June 20, 2008
Age 65 and older [352,000]
Ages 45 to 64 [74,000]
Under age 45 [9,000]
Blood pressure: less than 120/80 mm Hg
Total cholesterol: less than 200 mg/dL
HDL (good) cholesterol: 50 mg/dL or higher
LDL (bad) cholesterol: range of less than 100 mg/dL to less than 160 mg/dL, depending on risk factors
Triglycerides: less than 150 mg/dL
Body mass index: less than 25
Waist circumference: less than 35 inches
Exercise: at least 30 minutes a day, all or most days of the week
Eat a balanced diet
See your doctor regularly
Thursday, June 19, 2008
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Decor Elements designs coordinate with many of our exciting products, so you can combine them to make beautiful, handcrafted home decor pieces. Personalize your surroundings with a variety of exclusive images designed to create a customized, unique space. With our self-adhesive vinyl elements you'll discover how easy and cost effective it can be to do your own decorating!
This exciting new product will be available to customers on July 1st. I will have brochures available in about a week. Please email me if you would like one. You will love the new artwork, phrases & alphabets available to transform your room in just minutes.
Monday, June 16, 2008
We drove up on Saturday and spent the night in Maggie's Valley. It was so pretty. We drove over to Cherokee also. Boy, has it changed since I was a kid. I remember going to Cherokee and Ghost Town with my Aunt Deese & Uncle Butch. There would be an Indian Chief standing on the sidewalk waving to everyone. And, during the trip to the mountains, we were always on the lookout for bears - even seeing one once in a while. Now Cherokee is pretty commercialized with junk stores abound and even a casino!! We walked into the casino (Harrah's) and looked around. It was pretty smoky and the Blackjack tables were video blackjack. If I play, I prefer to touch the cards!!! Later we found out that there is no alcohol in the casino either - the county is totally dry!! Unbelievable!! We had hoped to see the play, Unto these Hills but it was raining and we didn't want to take a chance on buying tickets and have to sit out in the rain!! Our motel in Maggie's Valley was quaint. We had a hot tub in the room, so I had a nice soak before going to bed - even ate a piece of cheesecake with chocolate dribbled on it while in the tub! Talk about decadent!! We walked down to a sports bar after dinner and played some NTN Trivia. But, were we surprised when their "last call for drinks" was at 9:30!! The place closes at 10:00 (and it was Saturday night). We hurried back to our motel before they rolled up the sidewalks!! The next morning after a yummy pancake breakfast, we drove into Tennessee. We drove up to the Douglas Lake and just looked around. Then drove to Gatlinburg. We had never been there and don't know that we were missing anything!!! We had lunch at a nice English Pup restaurant and then hit the highway back to NC.
Sunday, June 15, 2008
For those of you anxiously awaiting to see which stamp sets from the Spring-Summer Collection 2008 will retire in August, you can find them here: Retirement List. So, which ones are you sorry to see go? Which ones are you relieved to see hanging around?
Friday, June 13, 2008
It's the same company - Okabashi & Oka. B - don't know why the different names & different sites. I guess cause at Oka B all the shoes have a little "bling" and you know, a gal can't get too much bling! But, they are pricier - gotta pay for the bling!!
I think my mom, my sister and yes, me are going to get a pair of the less expensive slide and I'll be buying a pair for my daughter too! Now, which ones???? Decisions, Decisions!!
Got this little questionaire off another blog - thought I'd give it a shot!
What is the worst meal you ever had? When I was a child, one of my Grandmother Burke's favorite dishes to fix was Goulosh. I just remember I didn't like it any better than when she cooked liver!!
Name one place you could vacation every year? I really don't like to go to the same place year after year. Too many places to see .... too little time!! But, guess I could go to Hawaii every year if I was forced to!!
5 things that drive you crazy?
1. Not turning off the lights when you leave a room
2. The little ads that are always stuck in magazines.
3. People who never believe they are wrong and can only see things in black and white - no gray areas!
4. Dumb people
5. Smokers who hold their cigarettes away from themselves but right in your area!
Name 3 people from your past that make you stop and think, “Hey, I wonder what ever happened to…”
Cheryl - my high school girlfriend; Sandra - my Burlington/ Elon College girlfriend and Guffy - an ex-boyfriend
Kids TV show you might actually enjoy more than your kids do? I don't like cartoons at all and don't even know any kids TV shows!!
Worst movie you’ve ever seen? The Accidental Tourist Jeff & I went to see this and just kept waiting for it to get better - it never did!!
Most under-rated TV show you watch regularly? Nashville Stars
Most popular TV show you never watch? Grey's Anatomy
Celebrity whose looks you’d like to have? maybe Faith Hill
Celeb you can’t stand? Rosie O'Donnell
What did you do today? made cards for my swaps
Who are you tagging? Anybody who wants to play along.
Thursday, June 12, 2008
2 -- Stampin' Up! is offering a SNEAK PEEK at one of the awesome new items in the upcoming Fall-Winter Idea Book & Catalog (if you are a customer of mine, look for your new FALL SAMPLER in the mail soon after August 8th, or you can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will drop one in the mail to you).
#3 -- Every heard of 'e-Scape'? Well it is a fantastic idea that Stampin' Up! has to help us all ESCAPE from the numerous tethers of our day-to-day work and home life. Put down the phone, turn off the computer, and break away free from the 'e'! Remember when you got letters in your mailbox instead of your inbox? On June 25, 2008, Stampin' Up! is taking the day to unplug and unwind, and reconnect on a personal level with friends and loved ones through handmade cards. And we invite you to eScape with us throughout the month of June!
Take advantage of the 25 percent discount on select items in the eScape bundle to help you create that special message from the heart.
Love Notes assortment (p 167) $ 8.95
Circle of Friendship stamp set (p 143) $17.95
Rose Red Classic Stampin' Pad (p 165) $ 5.25
Very Vanilla 5/8" grosgrain ribbon (p 191) $ 7.95
eScape Bundle price $30.00