Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Bye Bye Summer Flip Flops!

I had to visit a podiatrist today. My Plantar Fascitis is back. I had it in my right foot before we moved to NC. If you've never had this uncomfortable foot problem, you are lucky! When I had it in 2006, it lasted a year. This time, I am determined that will not happen. Especially since I have it in both feet - luckily one day it is in the left and the next week, it will be the right foot! The severe pain in my heel started Memorial Day weekend. By Sunday, I was using a cane to walk around the house. Icing my foot helped a lot. So today the doctor took x-rays and they showed a bone spur in each heel. He gave me exercises to do; a pair of orthodics for my shoes and a "boot" to wear when sitting. The worst part was the shots!!! He gave me a shot of Cortisone in each foot - NOT pleasant!! And if anyone knows me, they know my aversion to needles (unless I am sewing!). Hope I don't have to do that again! He recommended supportive athletic shoes - Asics or New Balance with good support (gel). I was lucky to find a good pair of Asics at a sports store today on sale. Plus they gave a discount with my doctor's prescription! Now if I can just be lucky enough to get rid of this heel pain, although I'll admit, the shots have done the trick!! And on top of that, the doctor called me at home tonight to thank me for my business and see if I was doing ok!!

It's hell to get old!! After exercising my feet tonight, I had to lay on my chiropractic pillow on the floor to stretch my neck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post!! Asics shoes really a great combination of fashion, style and comfort. Got my pair from Eastern Mountain Sports.

Melinda said...

Hi Sharon, Sorry, To hear that you have heel spurs I have heard that they are very painful. Hope you are feeling better soon.... Hugs