Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Idol .... Top FOUR!

Tonight is Rock. The mentor is ..... Slash .... the drummer for Guns & Roses, my favorite group! (just kidding) Actually when my daughter was in high school, I told a boy she was dating that Guns & Roses was my favorite group ... I had actually mistaken the group for another one (obviously) and this has been a joke between us forever! She called me tonight to tell me my favorite band member was going to be on Idol.
  • Adam is first singing Led Zepplain's Whole Lotta Love. I don't know if he could have gotten any more black eye liner on. He's actually scary looking. I've always thought he reminded me of Elvis, but I know Elvis would not be looking like this! I thought he was screaming but that's hard rock for you. I know the judges will love him. Yes, Randy says everyone will forget about his theatrics with this performance. Kara says he's a rock god. Of course, Paula says's he's a whole lot of perfect. Simon loves it too and says it's one of his favorite performances.
  • Allison is singing Cry Baby by Janis Joplin. I can totally see her doing Joplin! She sure has the pipes and I'm loving her performance!! The judges don't look so happy though. Randy didn't like her choice of songs. Kara thinks bluesy rock and Joplin is right for her but didn't like the song choice. Simon thought it was a terrific vocal but lacked originality. She showed a little sass to them tonight. Good for her!!
  • Kris Allen is singing The Beatles Come Together!! This is my favorite group - for real!! Well, he's got my vote before he even sings and I know the same is true with Ashley. He didn't try to do that hard rock stuff because that is just not him. Randy agrees with me. Boo Kara - she didn't think it was great. What does she know? I was waiting for this .... Paula says it is risky to do a Beatles song; he needs a little more energy on stage. Simon didn't like it. He said it was like eating ice for lunch???? The judges weren’t impressed at all. I think he was better than they’re giving him credit for
  • Danny Gokey sing the classic rock anthem, Dream On by Aerosmith. You'll have to hum a few bars because I don't think I know this song. OK, now he's singing it and I have heard it. Paula is on her feet so I guess she likes it. He made the scream at the end which Slash was worried about. The crowd loved it. Randy said it was just ok. He realizes that this is not Danny's genre as well as not Kris'. Kara commended him for taking a chance but it was not great. Paula gives him an A for effort. Simon didn't like the scream and thought it was too over the top.

A new twist to the show, tonight we are getting treated to two duets by the contestants. First Kris and Danny sing Renegade by Styx — very cool. Ooooh, I like rock-and-roll Danny. This is fun! They SO need to record that. Their voices really harmonized and worked well together. Adam and Allison rocked a duet together of Slow Ride. It seems like their solo parts are better than the harmony parts. The judges loved it and think they should do a duet together.

Unfortunately, rock is NOT the genre for two of the contestants (Danny & Kris) but it is for the other two. This really sucks that it is down to the final 4 and it has to be rock and not something like their favorite songs or something they could all shine in their song selection.

Well, my personal picks for the final three are Danny, Allison and Kris. But, I don't think that's likely to happen. It's hard for me to predict who's going home tonight. I'm afraid it'll be Kris but he definately wouldn't be my choice. We'll have to wait till tomorrow night to see!

No comments: