Tuesday, May 19, 2009

American Idol Final Night!

Had to watch the show tonight live - commercials and all. W.e're in San Antonio helping Ashley house-hunt. More details on that later

This is it. Why do I feel oddly let down already? I don’t necessarily think Adam has it in the bag like the judges seem to think. I think Kris will get a lot of Danny’s votes. It could be close. And they’re both so good; it should be a phenomenal show tonight. I think I’m bummed that Danny is gone.

So Adam was a hyperactive child. Is anyone surprised by that? Okay then. Adam is performing Mad World from the Birth Year show. I like this subdued but passionate performance. Kris is singing Ain’t No Sunshine from his comfortable perch behind the piano. I like the bluesy spin he’s putting on this classic. So, good song choice, Kris! And isn’t his wife the cutest, nodding her encouragement from the front row?

Simon gives Round One to Kris, after eating some crow. I agree, Simon!

For Round Two, they’re singing songs chosen by the show’s creator, Simon Fuller.
Adam has changed from the Dracula robe to a classic gray suit, and he’s singing an R&B classic by the great Sam Cooke.

Kris is in his element with this one but it's just OK. Randy said it was “a little light” and I have to agree, but I have to point out, Kris didn’t choose it. I still love ya, Kris!

At any rate, the judges give Round Two to Adam. So, what else is new?

Round Three. Let’s roll.
In Idol tradition, both are singing the same song — No Boundaries, written by Kara DioGuardi and two other people I haven’t ever heard of.
Adam’s up first, of course. Um, what’s with the pants?

These finale songs are always so cheesie I can hardly stand it. Adam is doing his best to give it a rock edge but the melodrama is a bit much for me on this one. The judges look dubious about this performance. “Not one of my favorite Adam performances,” says Randy. Um, yeah. Pretty much.

Simon starts to bash the song and thinks better of it. Awww, come on. I feel like I missed out. Of course he still thinks Adam is the most amazing contestant to ever grace the Idol stage and doesn’t even try to hide his bias.

Kris gets his turn, and I have to say I prefer this performance to Adam’s. It’s more my style, and I think he makes it more modern and less cheesie. I’m giving Round Three to Kris.
They’re both phenomenal, and I look forward to hearing from them A LOT. Who are you rooting for? Will you vote? I voted .... for Kris, of course!

Word of warning: Ryan says tomorrow’s show will go long, so don’t depend on your DVR to catch the end. I’ll be watching live from my hotel room. Over and out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I voted for Adam. Although his dress and type of music is my style, I think Adam is the whole package. He is quite entertaining and not meek at all on stage. I think Adam is more memorable than Chris. Only my opinion.....

Donna