Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Mothers Day

To all the mothers out there, I'm sending a big way to go and a reminder too to take a few deep breaths along the way.  However you choose to commemorate this day, with family or on your own, with big fete or quiet respite, at home or out on the town, I hope you have a glorious day and that you connect with yourself and your family and enjoy your celebration.

In this month’s Real Simple magazine, Judith Newman  lists  10 things she suggests we all ask our mothers this Sunday.  On her list: 

  1. What’s the one thing you would have done differently as a mom?
  2. Why did you choose to be with my father?
  3. In what ways do you think I’m like you?
  4. Which one of us kids did you like the best?
  5. Is there anything you have always wanted to tell me but never have?
  6. Do you think it’s easier or harder to be a mother now than when you were raising our family?
  7. Is there anything you regret not having asked your parents?
  8. What’s the best thing I can do for you right now?
  9. Is there anything that you wish had been different between us — or that you would still like to change?
  10. When did you realize you were no longer a child?

I don't agree with all the questions up there - especially Number 4 - but they are thought provoking.  And you ought to ask some of them before it's too late and your mother is not around for you to ask.   What would you want to ask your mother?   What would you want your children to ask you?   What do you think the answers might be?

My family will be coming over on Sunday and we will celebrate the mothers among us (my mom, my sister and myself) with a cook out.  I just wish my own children could be with us too.  But, I will be meeting Ashley in Texas next weekend.  She has already sent my Mother's Day present which I will open tomorrow.  I am holding out hope that I will get a call from my son.  I didn't receive a card so I doubt that I will receive a call, but I can still hope, can't I?  My wish for this Mother's Day is that by next Mother's Day, our relationship will be better. 

Here are a few cards I am sending to friends and family this Mother's Day.

No comments: