Thursday, April 23, 2009

Happy Earth Day

101_2469

101_2470

Happy Earth Day to you.  I did my part yesterday to beautify my little portion of the earth.  Aren't these flowers beautiful?  Dahlias and Gerber Daisies (Ashley's favorites!) for Breast Cancer (from Lowe's).  I planted them today in a pot .... just hope they get enough sun!

Sonny and I started out the day visiting with our lawyer to get our wills and medical releases up to NC law.  All our important documents were made out about 10 years ago when we wee Texas residents.  Friends had told us that NC might not accept the documents from another state.  You might want to check on your important papers also if you have moved to another state.  Also, do you have your papers in a fire-proof box and do your loved ones know where they are?  Important things to know!

Then we went to the movies to see State of Play.  It was really good.  Russell Crow, Ben Affleck, Rachel McAdams and Helen Mirar are in it.  Crowe stepped into the role after Brad Pitt dropped out.  Crowe played a very interesting character in this role as a scruffy hero in a newspaper movie that is acutely aware of the crisis affecting newspapers.  There are a lot of surprises in the film and it is a good thriller.  I recommend it.

Next was a stop at Lowe's to pick up bird seed and a few plants.  Sonny has a tendency to over-trim my trees and plants when given the chance.  Last year, he chopped down 3 rhododendrons on the side of the house.  They were a little lot over-grown, but really only needed a good trimming.  Anyway, they are gone with no greenery showing up this spring.  They were covering up the ugly air conditioners so now, I have to come up with another plan.  Our yard gets very little sun because of all the trees around us and we don't want to give up that precious shade!  (especially after living in Texas.)  But, trying to find plants that don't need sun is a little tricky.  Here's what I planted today.

The two shrubs are called a Leprechaun Shrub.  I planted the Nandina in the middle a few days ago - dug it up from the front yard.

101_2472

To the side, I am going to try a Hosta garden.  Here are two I planted today.

101_2473

In the back yard, I planted a hosta and Bleeding Heart last year and they are coming up nicely.  So, I added a couple more plants to them today.  Now, I want to find some nice sized rocks and outline their area so Sonny doesn't mow them down!

101_2482

This is a close-up of the Bleeding Heart ... and my azaleas blooming.101_2477   101_2476

No comments: