Friday, November 14, 2008

Touring Charlotte

Tuesday Sonny and I went to the Levine Museum of the New South in downtown Charlotte with our Newcomers & Golden Boys Groups. Sonny was not too thrilled to have to go to a museum but I think he changed his mind by the end of the day. I would highly recommend this museum!! You will find Charlotte's heart and soul in the museum's current program, New South for the New Southerner. Historian Dr. Tom Hanchett led a lively educational discussion on Charlotte's history and its future, covering topics as varied and colorful as why so many streets are named Sharon, what business was like in Charlotte before interstate banking, and what food and drinks were originated here (am I the only one who likes livermush???) This lighthearted lesson in local history is ideal for newcomers and natives (such as me). I feel like although I was born and raised in Charlotte, I really don't know her! I left for college in 1966 and basically, never returned except to visit. So, I get very lost in the city and don't recognize anything downtown!!

After the lecture and seeing some of the exhibits (hands on) in the museum, Dr. Hanchett led us on a walking tour of Charlotte. We went into the Bank of America building which houses an impressive traveling art exhibit which is open to the public. We visited the Mint Museum of Craft and Design where I had to fight back the tears. In my day, this building (Mint) housed Montaldo's department store. My grandmother and great-aunt, Love, both worked there. When I was young (12-13 years old probably), every Saturday, my girlfriend and I would take the bus downtown (today, it is referred to as UPtown). We would go to Montaldo's and visit my grandmother & aunt, go to Woolworth's to buy some Tangee lipstick (remember that???), down to Trade Street where my grandfather worked at Stein's Men's Clothing and he would always give me some money and take us to lunch (probably Tanner's hot dogs) and then we'd go to the Carolina Theatre to watch Elvis gyrate!! Such wonderful memories plus Montaldo's is where my wedding dress was purchased!! The walking tour was quite interesting though and we saw things that I wouldn't normally see and learned a little history about my hometown.

If you have guests visiting, I would highly recommend the Levine Museum!! Even if you don't have guests, go yourself! I know I will go back. And, perhaps take a little walking stroll myself to see what else I uncover down .... opps, UPtown!

No comments: