Tuesday, November 4, 2008

History in the Making

I'm here in DC as history is being made. America's first black president! In 1960, the question that loomed over the campaign was whether a Catholic could get elected president. Voters answered yes. Nearly five decades later, that milestone is a mere footnote to the Kennedy presidency. The question this time was whether a black man could win the presidency. Forty percent of all white Americans hold a negative view of blacks, according to polling by The Associated Press, and two-thirds of white Democrats express racial misgivings. Yet on Election Day, Obama won more than four of every 10 white votes. Americans said yes, we can overcome our original sin. Fifty years from now, President Obama will be remembered for more than the color of his skin. And this moment will never be forgotten.

About one in 10 voters said this was the first year they had cast ballots, and 70 percent of them backed Obama. To cap it off, Obama won the female vote. We who lived in the South and remember segregration all have, I am sure, different feelings on this issue. I'm sometimes ashamed to admit that I grew up in the South with a black maid (who was just like a family member to me) and grandparents (and parents too) who were very prejudiced, but that is all they knew. Because I saw first hand the way they were, I have strived hard not to be like them. And, I believe I have succeeded. I can remember when Kennedy and Nixon ran for president. We had an election in school and I voted for Kennedy. That night, we had dinner at my grandparents home and when I told them I voted for Kennedy in a mock election at school, you would have thought I had done something really horrible. They were just apalled!! I don't know if it was his partya ffiliation or the fact that he was a Catholic! My .... how things have changed.

But, to me, race was not the issue in the this election. Although, it's hard to believe that right now after watching all the television interviews tonight - the only people being interviewed on the DC NBC channel are blacks. To me, the reporters are making it about race. I did like the comment of one of the people interviewed - that she could celebrate this victory with all her sisters .... white, black, and gay.

I hate controversy. I generally go to great lengths to avoid awkwardness of any kind. I just want everyone to get along and live together in love and harmony forever and ever. This is why I do not wear my political affiliation on my sleeve and I do not discuss politics on my blog. But, tonight I followed another blog link to THIS and it scared me! Whether or not it is true, it sure makes you think!

I am worried with Obama in office about our health care, our social security, our welfare program, and mostly about our retirement money that my husband worked hard to get and we are quickly seeing it go away. I'm not saying that our system is without fault, but I believe there are better ways to care for the underprivileged and uninsured than to centralize our heath care and increase other government programs. I resent the implications and outright accusations that conservatives are selfish and tight-fisted. We just believe the private sector is far better equipped to handle the needs of the underprivileged in our society.

The war is another major issue. While I don't like war, I believe we need to finish the job before we come home. I trusted McCain on this issue given his experience in the military and in Congress for so many years. I have a vested interest in this issue since I have a daughter in the Army who could be looking at deployment next year and a son who has served this country and done a stint in Korea and in Iraq.

I truly believe we all want the same thing in the end - a safe, healthy, productive society where we can live and work and play with freedom and security. So, I sincerely hope that America comes together and supports our next leader no matter how you feel about him. I do not think there are any easy answers or perfect candidates but I do believe in our country. Just hold on .... in 4 years, we will be able to make another decision.

Obama received the huge wave of support he sought. But will he be able to do all that he promised? Will his ecstatic supporters be satisfied with anything less? And did Obama really receive a mandate, or was he the beneficiary of the nation's disgust with President Bush, and its unease with America's course? These are the questions that will be answered over the next four years.

Just remember ..... at the end of the day, God is still commander in chief of the universe!

No comments: