Tuesday, March 17, 2009

American Idol .... week 2

So the judges make another grand entrance and Paula hugged all the judges before they sat down. I love that necklace Kara has on .... wonder if it's Paula's design? So, tonight is Classic Country. I love country music so it'll be a good night for me .... IF they do well! Randy Travis is the mentor tonight.

  • Michael Sarver - Texas boy - Ain't Going Down Till the Sun Comes Up: Well, it's hard to be another Garth and Garth, he's not. He had the energy and country is definitely his genre.
  • Allison Iraheta - She hit this one out of the park! Great job on the song - even Simon thought it was good! Simon thought it was verging on "precocious" and Randy thought it was "dope" .... whatever all that means!
  • Kris Allen - another Garth song, a ballad this time. Singing without his guitar tonight. Randy said he is a ballad singer and I think he is right. I'm not familiar with the song but I like it a lot. Wow!! Simon said he thought it was terrific (Simon hates country!). I'll be voting for Kris tonight.
  • Lil Rounds - Independence Day (by Martina McBride) - she's a R&B singer ... not country - should be interesting. It was ok. She's got too good a voice not to do justice to any song, but this just wasn't her forte. I thought it was kind of boring. The judges thought she could have picked a better song for her voice and I agree.
  • Adam Lambert - Ring of Fire: Randy Travis was definitely taken aback by Adam and his nail polish. His version of this song was indescribable... think mid-Eastern style with sitars playing. I hated it! Doesn't his hair remind you of Liza Minnelli???? Simon was right - it was "indulgent rubbish!"
  • Scott MacIntyre - Wild Angels (Martina McBride) - He surprised Randy Travis. He's one of my favorites and he didn't disappoint me tonight. His voice is just so pure. Paula thinks he should mix up his performances and connect more with the audience without his piano. The judges think he needs to "up" his game and pick better songs for his voice. Since he is blind, he is going to have a hard time moving around on stage.
  • Alexis Grace doing a Dolly Parton song, Jolene: I think she did great with the song and hit the notes even if Randy didn't think so. The judges didn't agree with me (except Paula). They want her to be "down and dirty" every time. Simon thought she was forgettable and sounded too much like Dolly .... that ain't so bad!
  • Danny Gokey doing Carrie Underwood, Jesus Take the Wheel. Danny is one of my favorites. He started out pretty slow but then got going and did great. Kara and Randy agree. I can see him winning this competition .... or have I said that before? The judges liked him. I do agree with Simon with his outfit - looked a little 80's.
  • Anoop Desai - You're Always On My Mind (Willie Nelson) I thought Anoop would have a difficult time with country. But his version of Willie's classic was super!! As Paula said, "Anoop is back!" This song "fit him like a glove." As Simon said, he went from Zero to Hero and this was one of his favorites of the whole night. Simon actually ate his words from last week that Anoop didn't deserve to be in the competition. Randy thought the arrangement was "dope" - guess that's the new word this year.
  • Megan Joy - I Go Walking After Midnight: Randy wasn't too sure about her choice at first but after hearing her, said her rendition was great. Well, she didn't do anything for me. She needs to quit doing her little twisty "Rockin Robin" moves. I think she's sick or has been sick. Her eyes look a little weird. Yep - Kara says she has the flu and has been to the hospital. Judges think she was fantastic. Simon wants her quirky dressing to come back.
  • Matt Giraud - Love Is All That Matters - another Carrie Underwood song - I thought he did good. Kara says he is a true artist and is amazing. He pierced Paula's heart. Simon thought he out sang Danny!! Wow ... that's a great compliment. Randy & Simon both thought it was the best performance of the night.

I think Michael Sarver will get the boot tonight.

My votes are: Kris; Scott; Danny; Anoop and Matt!

Every year, one artist gets to benefit from the contestants demise. This year it is Carrie Underwood who gets to benefit from American Idol all over again. The name of the new song being used to say goodbye to the eliminated contestants on American Idol in 2009 is called Home Sweet Home by American Idol winner Carrie Underwood

No comments: