Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Did You Know?

The national anthem of Greece has 158 verses.

Francis Scott Key was a young lawyer who wrote the poem "The Star Spangled Banner" after being inspired by watching the Americans fight off the British attack of Baltimore during the War of 1812. The poem became the words to the national anthem.

The Netherlands and the United States both have anthems that do not mention their countries' names.

Pilgrims ate popcorn at their first Thanksgiving dinner.

American Indians never actually ate turkey; killing such a timid bird was thought to indicate laziness.

~The Book of Useless Information by Noel Botham & The Useless Information Society

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your new history lesson today! I agree with the Indians about the turkey. Course I should be a vegetarian, since I love ALL animals. Did you see on U-tube about the tiger? It was precious - if I find it again, I'll send to you to watch.

Oh, I'll leave message about the game on this post - pictures are super and looks like you and DH had a blast! - glad you are home safely - or I'm assuming you are home already. I thought ya'll might be stopping in DC to visit daughter and see the inaugaration. Take care