Monday, May 12, 2008

Spam in Hawaii!!

Well, think I've recovered from my trip to Hawaii. It was fabulous. My daughter, Ashley, and I laid on the beautiful sands of Honolulu sipping Mai Tais and soaking up the rays!! My first day out I got a little burned (as usual, my hubbie would say). Ashley was at her convention and I ate a leisurely breakfast and went out to the beach about 11:00. I had some of that spray-on suntan lotion and thought I did a good job of spraying. But .... it's kinda hard to get your back by yourself. Plus, I had forgotten my Clinique face protection lotion so I sprayed the suntan lotion in my hands and rubbed it on my face. Thought that would do the trick. Well, not so good!! After a couple of hours, my back was feeling funny so I went inside to shower and get ready to meet Ashley for lunch. About the time I got out of the shower (reddness on my back and face!!), she called and was coming back to eat lunch and hit the beach!! Well .... she was not real happy with her Mom!! So, what's a girl to do??? Right .... go shopping!!! Never fear.

We got to Waikiki and what did we discover but a festival being set up. And not just any festival, but The Spam-Jam Waikiki Festival!! And I don't mean spam like you get in your internet inbox. This was the real stuff that comes in the little blue can. I don't know about you, but when I was growing up .... and when my kids were growing up .... it was a staple in our house!! We usually had fried spam with mac and cheese (of course, the Kraft boxed kind!!). Jeff and Ashley loved the stuff but I'm sure now they wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole. But, back in the "old days" it was great and cheap! (Can't you hear those arteries thanking us now?) If you are interested, Spam has a website and even a Fan Club!!! There is also a Spam Museum in Minnesota. When Ashley and I were driving cross country from Tacoma to D.C., she wanted to stop and visit the Spam Museum. We didn't - wonder what we missed!!
We did go out on the beach or the pool all the following days so we got plenty of sun. And, I bought more sunscreen - 50 SPF this time. My days of laying in the sun without any protection are long gone. I remember when I was a teenager and we lathered on the baby oil, sometimes mixing it with iodine (what was that all about???) Don't risk skin cancer - lather up!
Here's a picture of us on the beach.

No comments: