Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Countdown for American Idol

Well, it's coming down to the nitty gritty! Last night's show was just O.K. to me. In case anyone missed it, these are the songs that the final three sang:

DAVID ARCHULETA
''And So It Goes,'' Billy Joel ''With You,'' Chris Brown ''Longer,'' Dan Fogelberg
SYESHA MERCADO
''If I Ain't Got You,'' Alicia Keys ' 'Fever,'' Peggy Lee ''Hit Me Up,'' Gia Farrell
DAVID COOK
''The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face,'' Roberta Flack ''Dare You to Move,'' Switchfoot
''I Don't Want to Miss a Thing,'' Aerosmith

My take on it is that David Cook is "da bomb" as Randy loves to say!

In the first round of songs which the judges picked, I really liked all three about the same. None of them made me jump up and down. David A. still had the squinty eyes - maybe he thinks they are "bedroom eyes" but he is just too young to pull that off!! I thought Syesha looked fabulous. The stylists have really made her shine. David Cook's rendition of "The First Time Ever..." was good - that is one of my favorite songs. (Interesting choice that Simon would pick that for him though but maybe because his discovery, Leona Lewis, also recorded it.) So the first round was a tie for me.

The second round ... poor David A. is trying to be hip. The little Utah kid just doesn't pull it off, ya know "my boo"???? But the little teeney-boppers in the audience loved it (or just him!) I didn't think Syesha's rendition of Fever was as bad as the judges did. I think her niche is going to be Broadway and that is what she was trying for. But, again, she looked great - just glad she didn't try to sit in that chair - don't think her dress would have covered up all her parts, ya know?! The song David C. sang I had never heard of or the band. It was all right to me. So, again, no clear winner on round two for me.

Now, the third round ... David did a good job with Dan Fogelberg's ballad. (Actually when they said what had been picked for him, I thought they meant Dan Fogarty - I was waiting for the rock and roll to begin!!) If he would just open his eyes!! Poor Syesha - a song from Happy Feet??? I didn't know that song and I don't think she did either. Do you think the producers had already written her off and so didn't try too hard to find a good song for her? It sure got Simon's knickers in a twist! He thought she was singing about penguins!! Then, in my opinion, they saved the best for last. David Cook! He was great with Aerosmith's song. It just ended too quick. I could listen to him the whole show.

Let's hope next week they are given better material to work with. I think this week they did the best with what they were given, but the songs they were given weren't for their individual strengths. I'm wondering if David A. was purposely given some weak songs for him so he wouldn't shine - then the producers won't have to deal with his father if he is voted American Idol. Evidently, David's dad cost the show quite a bit of money in royalties when he switched up some lyrics last week after he was told not to. Daddy Dearest was booted off the set this week.

What will tonight bring? I'm sure it will just be a formality when Syesha will be packing her bags. She's had a good run and she will do fine on her own. She just needs to go to New York and get on Broadway. I think David Cook is the winner of American Idol but I don't know if I really want that. I almost think he would do better for himself as runner up and not have to get tied into the American Idol contract and lose his originality. Doesn't seem like those winners do well (except of course, Carrie Underwood and a few others). But, look at how well Daughtery has done on his own. I think that could be David Cook's future also. David A. could use the shelter of American Idol to groom him into a star. Right now, he's just a kid who has an amazing voice. But who knows what surprises may await us. Could David A. get voted off tonight??? That would be a shocker, for sure!!

Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Well! I'm not sure what else you left to be said!

Personally I loved David C's rendition of Roberta Flack's "The First Time..." His momma wasn't the only one with a tear in his eye! And David A's eyes...yep, back to old habits. I also agree that the material they were given was crap. I think even the judges were a little surprised.

I was also surprised about your info on David A's dad...I wonder if that's where Simon's dig a couple of weeks ago about knowing that DAVID didn't pick out the song - another one of those bee bop songs like he did last night.

Syesha will shine on Broadway for sure! But I'm not so sure she'll go home tonight....I picked David A to start...then fell in love with David C...but last night...even singing Fever..which I didn't think was so bad either!..she was better than David A.

Now...if they would just get rid of the stupid, screaming little girls at the foot of the stage ... another sign of my old age I guess...

See you tomorrow!