Wednesday, May 21, 2008

And the winner is ...... DAVID COOK

David Cook wins! David Cook wins!
He’s truly overcome with emotion. Sweet!

“I started this season much to Simon’s chagrin as the ‘word nerd,’ ” he said. “I’m at a loss for words. Thank you guys. This is amazing.” Overall, it’s an emotionally satisfying ending with the top 12 standing on that stage behind the judge’s table with Cook. He has his arms around Archuleta. Class act, sharing the spotlight. And the brother who convinced him to audition joined him on stage earlier, too along with his mom. I loved that part! He allowed his Mom to be a part of this important event in his life.
I think for the show to continue to thrive, it needs more original, edgier contestants (though not to the extreme of, say, Sanjaya, thanks), and so I think the right guy -- in terms of the show's longterm benefits -- won. I also think that David C. is better-suited to handling the pressure that goes with winning, and David A. should have an easier time of it as runner-up, getting plenty of attention, a certain record deal, but a lower-pressure entree into showbiz and media attention. So, basically, everyone's a winner in this year's finale.
Some other notes on the final show .....Oh my goodness - does it get any worse than this? That guy who auditioned with his own song - the one who sang "You are my brother, best friends forever..." Remember him? Well they actually brought him to the stage - he's wearing the same outfit with the winged hat and everything - just beyond ridiculous. They even get USC's marching band to accompany him - seriously? He definately got his 5 minutes of fame.
I loved Brooke's singing with Graham Nash; David A's singing "Apologize"; ZZ Top with David C. (you know, that had to be a dream come true for him!); Carrie Underwood (looked gorgeous, by the way); George Michael (I'm still a big fan and obviously, so is Paula!!); Donna Summer singing "Last Dance" (didn't much care for her new one); and Michael Johns (still, my love!!). I could have done without the comedy routines - The Pips; Jimmy Kimmel; Jack Black, Ben Stiller and Robert Downey Jr, etc. Also, didn't have a clue who that young boy band (Jonas Brothers) was!! (My daughter filled me in later.)

We were recording the show so we wouldn't have to sit through all the commercials (and ended up missing the Guitar Hero one done by David C - saw David A's though - pretty funny!) But, luckily, we caught up with the recording and ended up watching the last 30 minutes or so live. If not, we would have missed the end!! Can't believe after sitting through 2 hours, they wait until one minute before the end to announce the winner and then have to go over. My daughter called and she was TiVo'ing it. Her TiVo cut off as soon as Ryan said "the winner is David Cook". She didn't get to see his reaction or hear the song at the end. I would be pissed!!!

Well, now I'll just have to wait for Idol to come on again NEXT YEAR!!!

In the meantime, I'll be watching Nashville Stars when it starts in June. It's pretty good.

1 comment:

Brenda Tapp said...

oh MY TiVo did the SAME thing...and as I recall, it did that last year as well!! Bummer! NEXT year, I'll TiVo (to speed through the commercials), BUT see the ending LIVE - ya betcha! Brenda.
PS - love your work and your AI run-throughs!