Monday, May 26, 2008

Pause the iPods and listen

I recently read an article in the Charlotte Observer by Mark Washburn who was speaking to a graduation class. I really enjoyed his thoughts and comments and can relate to them. Here are excerpts from the "In My Opinion" article that I totally agree with! My comments are shown in blue.

"Your parents are officially as dumb as they will ever be. From this day forward, they will get smarter, just a little, day by day." Don't know that my kids would agree with this, especially my son!

"Always drive like there's a cop behind you" Lesson learned.... especially when driving through Virginia - it can be costly!!

"Pop the earphones out every so often and listen carefully. If you concentrate, you can still hear the original iPods. They're called birds!" I'm afraid one day all the young people of today are going to be deaf!

"Any worthwhile journey involves getting lost sometimes. Life is a worthwhile journey." My life continues to be a journey - never knowing what is around the bend. Sometimes good ....sometimes bad, but I guess you have to take the good with the bad.

"When lost, take time to poke around a little into the stuff you never would have seen otherwise. " I can't count the times I've been lost (just ask my children when they were younger!!) but there are shops and restaurants I've discovered when taking the other route that I wouldn't have know about if I hadn't been lost.

"You are what you drive. Keep it clean." Hope my husband doesn't read this. I keep my car anything but clean according to him. What can I say .... sometimes I'm a slob!

"Text and drive, you won't survive." Much less, talk on the cell phone and drive!! I'm guilty of this but I know I would not be able to text and drive!! Keep waiting for all states to have mandatory earphones for cars on the highway.

"After 30, skip the fries." But .... they're soooo good!! Especially at Poppa's Hot Dog Shop in Mooresville where I seen to gravitate to after attending my Weight Watchers meeting!!

"When you mess up, just "fess up. Astonishing fact: "I really screwed up" is actually a thing bosses like to hear. It means they don't need to point it out." I think that is one of the hardest things to do - to acknowledge when you've made a mistake. But more importantly, for the "injured party" to accept your apology and move on. Life is TOO SHORT to hold grudges!!

"Believe half of what you read on the Internet and a quarter of what you hear on Talk Radio. Do your own thinking." That goes for all these e-mails we continue to get that are "urban myths". Doesn't anyone ever check them out before mass sending them to everyone they know???

"Make a million mistakes, but get this one right: Marry the right person." Amen to this one! I have been married to the same wonderful man for 35 years. Yes, we've had our ups and downs, but we've always stood by each other and loved each other. Thank you, God, for helping me find this wonderful husband and father.


That's all for now. I will continue with this article tomorrow! Enjoy!

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!

No comments: