Sunday, October 2, 2011

Greensboro Quarterly

The Greensboro Quarterly was so much fun!  It was worth all the effort.  I got some great swaps which I'll be sharing soon.  Marianne and I left Mooresville around noon so it gave us a lot of time to stop and shop along the way.  We stopped at Enchanted Cottage in Lewisville but, surprise, surprise, left without buying anything!  Our next stop was in Winston Salem at Scrapbook Traditions.  Wow!  It is a huge store - 4,000 sq. feet and so organized!  We made a few purchases there!  Our timing was great - we arrived at our hotel around 5:15 with time to check in, unload the car and head over to the church to start on our Shoebox Swaps.  I had made dinner reservations for 7 at Anton's Italian Restaurant.  Anton's was mine and Sonny's favorite restaurant when we were dating.  (We met in Greensboro when we were both living in a single's apartment complex.)  I was excited to see that it was still going strong and being run by the same family.  Two other gals were joining us for dinner but as we were leaving the church, Brenda fell and hit her head pretty hard.  Marianne and I went ahead but they were able to join us later.  We kept our eye on Brenda the rest of the night just in case. The food was awesome.  The only drawback was that there was a 40 year high school reunion going on and the restaurant was full of a lot of loud mouth guys!!  We couldn't even hear each other's conversation. 

Marianne and I worked on our swaps until midnight when we had to call it quits!  We got a little over half of the cards done (there were 28).  We took pictures of the rest of the swaps and collected our packets to do the cards at home.

Saturday we were back at the church by 8:30 and ready to work.  We had a little introduction and welcome time and then it was on to the projects presented by the organizers.  They did a great job and we made a lot of different things which I'll be sharing with you this week.  There were also presentations going on for us to observe - making flower roses and wax paper resist technique. 

One of the new things we did this time was a Favorite Card Contest.  The ones who wanted to participate had made a favorite card and the group voted on their favorite.  It was a secret vote and you didn't know whose card you were voting for.  I really worked hard on my card and it paid off!  My card tied with Nancy Carr's card and we both won!  Here is my card:

I used Creative Elements stamp set, stamping the flower 3 times each, cut each one out and stacked them on top of each other using dimensionals between each level.  In the center of each flower is a rhinesone.  The colors I used were Soft Suede and Pool Party plus the Spice Cake DSP.  I dyed my Vanilla ribbon with Soft Suede ink.
Here is Nancy's card that tied with mine:  It is very pretty.

Marianne also made a great card for the contest.  I really thought she would have won.

So what do you think of our cards?  Do they inspire you?

Marianne and I found a couple more scrapping shops before leaving Greensboro.  One was a "must see"!!  It had so much stuff it was unbelievable!!  It was the Scrapbook Shop on Battleground.  If they didn't have it, I don't think you need it!!  We'll definitely be making another trip there some day.

No comments: