Thursday, January 14, 2010

You can use material in the Big Shot to make neat things!

I finally had time to play today - at least half the day.  This morning I just had to sweep my kitchen and give my poor neglected plants some water.  Then I decided it was past time to take down the Christmas Thanksgiving decorations!  Yes, my friends, I said Thanksgiving!!  Isn't that sad?  Since we were gone during Christmas for 3 weeks, I never put up any Christmas decorations and had just left my Thanksgiving ones up.  But, truthfully, I have only gotten them as far as the kitchen table.  Tomorrow maybe they'll make it out to the garage!  Sonny wanted to go into town and I figured if I'd ride along with him, I'd get lunch in a restaurant instead of a sandwich at home!!  Score!  We had good intentions of going to the Y, but neither of us were in the mood or felt up to exerting the energy.  I guess we can blame it on the colds that we have had!   When I returned home, my Stampin' Up order was waiting for me!  I didn't order much - really trying to conserve the $$$.  I got Love Bandit from the Occasions Mini, the Big Shot Bigz XL Flower Folds Die and Whimsical Words free from Sale-a-bration Catalog. 

I have been wanting the Flower Fold Die to make a pin/brooch like I've been seeing all over the internet.  I need to go to a fabric store and get some vintage-y material.  My sister brought me some scraps of her material so I used some of it to make this brooch:

For this brooch I started by cutting out four flowers of the same size. I folded each of the flowers in half, then I laid each of the flower halves down, with one half of the petals overlapping onto the previous flower half, almost like weaving the flower petals together.  After you have the four flower halves interlapping, I loosely tacked them together, with large stitches. Then I repeated this several times, making as many different little flower pieces as I wanted. For this brooch, I made a set from the smallest flower and one set from the next size up flower. 
When I finished the flower pieces, I layered them on top of each other, kind of overlapping and random.  Next, hot glue a small circle of felt over the stitching on the back and secure a pin (or hair clip or whatever). Finish off the flower by adding the flower center which in this case was a purple button with a Kraft Cordurory Button on top.  I used my hot glue gun for the buttons also.

Using fabric with the Big Shot and dies is very popular, and this is such an easy project.  Here is another project made with the Big Shot and SU's Scalloped Square Die.  My sister, Marianne, made me this bag for Christmas.  She also made a Beatles bag for Ashley and normal purses for our Mom and our other sister.


No comments: