Sunday, June 3, 2012

Home

I'm home!!  We got back Friday and I've been trying to catch up on my sleep ever since!  We had a slight delay on our return flight - it was delayed several hours.  We were supposed to leave Anchorage at 8:30; instead our flight left at 11:30 making us miss our connection in Houston.  But luckily, we got on a flight leaving Houston at 10:00 am and arrived home around 1:30 p.m. only to find that our car battery was dead!  Welcome home!  We were both exhausted after being awake over 24 hours.  We both only grabbed a couple of hours sleep on the plane.   Saturday, I slept till about 11 a.m. and finally woke Sonny up around 1 pm!! 

My mom ended up having another surgery while I was gone.  She had her first back surgery about a week before I left town.  But, she was still hurting and not progressing like she should have.  So, she went back to the doctor and had an MRI done.  A week later ... when she went back to the dr. for the follow-up, he finally looked at the MRI and saw a mass where the incision was.  So, they sent her over to the hospital and prepped her for surgery on Thursday.  It turned out to be a blood clot pressing up against the nerve.  They kept her over night this time and now that she is home, she is doing much better.  The incision is hurting her, but she seems to be able to get up and around much better than before.  Hopefully, this will do the trick.

I haven't had a chance to do any stamping since I got back home but hope to do some this week to share.  In the meantime, I will share a few more of my Alaska pictures.

We went to Seward on Tuesday which is on the coast and pretty rainy.  It rained the whole time we were there,.  We were scheduled to go on a day long wildlifemand glacier viewing cruise on Wednesday but because of the bad weather, we were only able to go out into Prince William Sound to look at wildlife.  As it turned out, it was a good thing!  The closer we got to the open water, the more my stomach turned.  I never get sea sick, but I have learned to never say never!  I ended up standing out on the back deck in the cool air during most of the trip with the other people who were feeling queasy!  But before I started feeling bad, I was able to see a lot of wildlife - sea otters, lots of bald eagles, porpoises, seals, cormorants,  and puffins but no whales.   The scenery was breath taking with waterfalls and a couple of glaciers.

Enjoy this video of the porpoises that were swimming along side the ship for quite some time. (hope it works!)

Ashley & I at the beginning of the cruise on the ship.  We were all bundled up - that wind was cold!

Sea Otters lounging around on the rocks.  They also "sang" for us!

Sea Otters were posing for us on the top of the rock!


These are Black Legged Kittiwakes.  There were thousands nesting at the end of Cape Resurrection.  They secure their nests to the sheer cliffs.  

End of the day catch - unfortunately, not ours!!

Remember - you can click on the pictures to see them better.

No comments: