Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Everything Eleanor

Another long day!  I left the house this morning at 9:30 and didn't return home until 6:30!  Luckily, Sonny grilled our dinner outside so I had a couple of glasses of wine and kept him company.  But it is so hot and humid here that it was not fun sitting outside tonight!  I played bridge today and had a pretty boring time.  I got a lot of really awful hands.  It it weren't for the fellowship with friends, I would have really been bummed.  After that, I picked up Mom for another doctor's appointment.  Marianne was working from home today so she met me at the doctor's office.  Mom was in really bad shape today.  She had a bad night and was in really bad pain all day.  When I got to her house, she asked me to get her the strongest pain meds that she had.  She has 3 different levels of hydrocodeine and has been taking the lowest dosage lately.  But today called for the "big dogs."  When I got her in to the doctor's office all she could do was cry.  It is heart breaking.  Dr. Allen is starting to believe that the cause of it all is her sciatica which I have been of the opinion from the start.  I have had debilitating sciatica pain twice and it is not something that I ever want to have again.  But I remember that the most pain I would have was trying to sit down or get up from a sitting position.  (It was hell trying to get on the toilet!) 

The common symptoms of sciatica include:
  • Pain in the rear or leg that is worse when sitting
  • Burning or tingling down the leg
  • Weakness, numbness, or difficulty moving the leg or foot
  • A constant pain on one side of the rear
  • A shooting pain that makes it difficult to stand up
And these are all things Mom has been complaining about.  Dr. Allen said with the surgeries and the injections she has had, all the "mucking" around in her spine has caused it to be inflamed and if it is sciatica, it can't heal.  There's not a "fix" for it but she needs to get to the point that she can do some stretching exercises.  He gave her a prescription for a drug that is used to treat neuropathy to try and see if it will help.  On Thursday, I am taking her to see a neurologist in Huntersville.  After that, I am electing to find a good chiropractor to treat her.  That is who helped me both times I had my sciatica. 

OK - on to a couple of cards I created this weekend. 


I saw a card similar to this one on Pininterest and decided to CASE it.  I used one of the floral stamps from Everything Eleanor and Primrose Petals ink.  It's hard to tell but the card at the top is stamped with Pretty In Pink with a swirl stamp in the background.  The bottom card uses the swirl or flourish stamp but in Crumb Cake.  The saying on the bottom is from Heartfelt Creations. 

1 comment:

Ellen Jarvis said...

Prayers for your Mom, Sharon. My 84-year old Dad who really never has had much wrong with him in his life has come down with back pain that is crippling to him -- he can suddenly no longer walk well. The doctor tried a series of three cortisone shots in his hip (I think they were called spinal epidural) and believe it or not, they caused pulmonary embolisms! Eeeek....

He can't get an MRI because he has a pacemaker, so now he is in the middle of 50 visits to a chiropractor, which is helping some. He added to his mix an acupunturist who is helping more. Later this week, he's going to a massage therapist. He takes some of the "big dogs" you mention tho last night, I suggested he add an anti-inflammatory to his pill regime. Has your mom considered acupuncture for sciatica? It really works GREAT!!!

Much love,
Ellen ♥ CardMonkey