Friday, July 23, 2010

Birthdays - Old and Young

 Wow - I have been on the go all week.  I'm trying to do better with my exercising so I went to the "Y" a few times this week.  Sunday is my mom's 82nd birthday so I had to do some shopping to find her a present.  She really doesn't need anything but she loves clothes.  So, I found a really cute black and white kinda leopard print jacket at Ross that I bought for her.  We took her out to dinner last night at Red Lobster.  Plus, I had two doctor appointments on Thursday and played mahjong on Wednesday.  I had an appointment with a rheumatologist Thursday morning to discuss my osteopenia.  I have taken Fosamax for about 10 years and was my doctor was concerned if it was doing the trick for me since my last 2-3 scans have shown a slight decrease in bone.  The Rheum. gave me all the options that are available and did a test on the computer showing my risk of breaking a hip in 10 years (.07).  After weighing all my options, I have decided to stay on the Fosamax which is what he recommended.  Later that afternoon I had an appointment with my primary care doctor to discuss my recent lab results.  As I was afraid of, my sugar test was high as well as my chloresterol.  I am going to work real hard to bring it down with diet and exercise.  Wish me luck!!  I don't want to get diagnosed with diabetes and have to do the testing and take the meds every day like my husband does! 

Today we went out to lunch with friends to a restaurant that we had never been to, Caruso's in Mooresville.   It was delicious!  I had Salmon Picatta ... yum!  I really prefer to eat a larger meal at lunch and just have salad or something light for dinner.  We have been doing that a lot more often.  Plus, if we eat out at lunch, I don't have to cook at night!!  (I'm no dummy!)   Twice this week I've made "Chop Chop Salad".  This was a salad we used to order when we lived in Gig Harbor and it is so simple I don't know why I didn't think to make it before.  I used the shredded lettuce that is pre packaged.  Then just finely chop up vegetables to go in it.  I used celery, green pepper, red onion, shredded cheese, green olives, salami and deli ham.  Add a little low-cal dressing and you're good to go!  Now, take it to your tv tray and eat it while watching Jeopardy!! 

Another of the reasons I haven't posted in a few days is because my monitor went out on me.  Wednesday night it kept flickering so I turned it off.  When I turned it back on Thursday, I could only get a black screen.  If I turned it off and back on, my screen would come on, but only for about 10 seconds.  So, this morning, my nephew came over to see what the problem was.  I was afraid it was the video card in my hard drive.  He brought another monitor with him and hooked it up.  Voila!  I had a picture.  So, he is letting me borrow his monitor until I can get one.  I will be looking for the best deal this weekend.

Here are a couple of cards I did have time to make this week. 

This card I made for Noah.  He is my friend, Margaret's grandson who lives in Charlotte.  His birthday is Sunday - the same day as my Mom.  I hope to see Margaret and Graham next week since they are in town visiting their daughter and her family.  The card uses the old faithful, Bugs and Kisses and the Square Lattice Embossing Folder.  Have I said how much I love this folder???  The card is 4 1/4" square so it will still fit in a standard envelope.  The colors used are:  So Saffron, Tangerine Tango and Pacific Point - taken right off the SU Color Combo.  I embosses the bugs with white embossing powder and punched them out with the 1 3/8" square punch.


This card I made for my Mom for her birthday.  It is also in response to the Mojo Monday Sketch.  This was a tough sketch this week - lots of layers!!  The colors I used are Tempting Turquoise, Regal Rose and Sahara Sand.  The DSP is retired - from an old hostess pack.  Lots of punches that coordinated with the stamp set, Punch Potpourri (Level 1 hostess set).

Well .... stay cool if possible.  It's still really really hot here - still 83 degrees at 11:45 pm!  Supposed to get up to 99 or 100 tomorrow.  Might be going to an air conditioned theatre!!

No comments: