Tuesday, February 23, 2010

American Idol Girls perform

How do you like my new Blog Title?  I made it myself from My Digital Studio!! 

OK - tonight was the Top 24 Girls on American Idol.  Are you ready for some critique-ing???  (I know I probably butchered that word!)

1. Paige Miles – 24 from Naples, Florida sang It’s All Right Now -  To me, she seems comfortable performing on stage and has good vocals.   She got a vote from me.
Judges: Simon thinks she has best voice of all girls but didn’t like song choice (wedding song); Kara disagrees – loved song choice – she "slayed" the song – just didn’t think she did enough with chorus; Randy & Ellen agreed & disagreed with both.  Ryan, I didn't need to hear that she's sown into her dress and has been waiting to pee.

2. Ashley Rodriguez - 22 from Boston sang Happy from Leona Lewis.  She has a  good voice but was breathy on the microphone.  I think she'll get criticism from doing a Leona Lewis song since she's a "find" of Simon's.
Judges:  Kara – big song, not great but thinks she will move on; Randy – not good song choice; Ellen – take a risk next time & don’t do safe; Simon – didn’t like arrangement; feels like she is going backwards; no originality; could be in trouble tonight.  I agree with Simon!

3. Janell Wheeler – 24 from Florida sang What About Love (Heart).   I don’t think her voice is as good as the other two.
Judges:  Randy – not favorite song choice, but he likes her voice; Ellen loved song choice, a few notes were off but she moved comfortable on stage; Simon – she gave 100% effort but only delivered 65% ; there were moments when he liked her voice, but song choice needs to be more original; he thinks she will survive this week; Kara – song too big.

4. Lilly Scott – 20 from Denver; has been living out of her car, sang The Beatles,Fixing A Hole;.  She made the song her own and I like her although I don’t like her white / platinum / gray hair!!  Her jazzy voice was great with the song.
Judges:   Ellen – "that’s what we are talking about!" She made the song her own , has a unique voice – loved it / Simon – best so far, felt she sang the song because it portrayed her as artist not because it would get her to the next round / Kara – very believable; could feel that she is comfortable / Randy - she's like an "indie" artist -  not worried about what others think; she was great.

5. Katelyn Epperly, 19 from Iowa, a college student sang Oh Darlin’ from 1969.  She had some 80's hair going on!  She was ok.
Judges:  Simon: "Even though it was very messy, I actually really like you." Kara: "You know exactly what you're doing when you're up there." Then Kara gives her a hard time for being overly made up. I agree. Randy: "I think you can go places." Ellen: "You have an amzing voice." OK, so the judges liked her more than I did.

6. Haley Vaughn, 15 from Ft Collins, Colo., a high school student,  She got her nose pierced when she made it to Hollywood.  She sang another Beatles song – I Want to Hold Your Hand.  I think she'll be back in high school next week!
Judges: Kara: "Every time you take that stage you have fun, but you need to work on technical abilities." Randy: "I love the unpredicitability." Ellen: "I enjoyed it. You just shine up there." Simon: "I thought it was verging on terrible. It was a mess."

7. Lacey Brown, 24 from Amarillo was cut last year before top 24.  She sang Fleetwood Mac, Landslide.  The slower songs are just tougher to win the audience but I thought she did ok.
Judges:  Randy: "I thought it was terrible ... pitchy." Ellen: "I just didn't think it worked out." Simon: "It was just boring, sorry." Kara: "I do hope that America gives you one more shot."
 
8. Michelle Delamor, 22 from Florida sang Alicia Keyes, I Keep on Falling;
Judges:  Ellen thought it was fantastic but was safe – seemed easy for her, knows she can do better; Simon – did very well, very professional since that is what she does for a living but not one wow moment but she looks fantastic; Kara – very commercial looking; moments that weren’t great; going for divia spot – lacks believability; Randy – tough song but did pretty good job but she has more – need to take risks and show them something no one else has

9. Didi Benami, 23 from Knoxville sang The Way I Am, another slow song.  I like her - got my vote.
Judges:  Simon – good singer but too many are trying to sound like the original singer; thought song was dreary; missing a spark; likes her & has good voice; Kara – thought song was good & made some creative changes, a little pitchy; Randy - no star factor, loved song & she sounded great; Ellen – great voice, great look, low key

10. Siobhan Magness, 19 from Cape Cod is a glass blowing apprentice!  She sang Wicked Game by Chris Issac.  She's an interesting girl!  You don't expect that voice to come out of her.
Judges:  Kara – wouldn’t have picked the song, but like it; quirky girl, a little nasel-y; in the moment when she is singing which sets her apart tonight; Randy – tough song, great voice; reach for a bigger song; Ellen – loved it, really liked it a lot; Simon – "you really are a funny little thing" – never know what she is going to do – like it but liked the Stevie Wonder song she did during Hollywood week better.  Simon asked her why she picked the song and she answered him in her monotone voice .  Simon answered in a monotone., "now I understand."

11. Crystal Bowersox, 24 from Ohio.  She has dreadlocks; is a mom (not sure if she's a single mom or not but I bet so).  Idol is not a show for her but she is doing it to give her son a better life.  She's singing "Hand in My Pocket" by Allanis Morrisette. This song is tailor-made for her skills. I like her vibe - and she plays the harmonica too! I think she could find a big audience out there!  Probably my favorite!!
Judges:  Randy: "I love your originality as an artist. I like what you do. I'm a fan." Ellen: "I think we are lucky you decided to audition for Idol." Simon: "The truth is there are thousands of you doing that outside subway stations. You've got to do something and make it your version. I think you're refreshing." Kara: "You have that ability to take us on a journey with you, but I didn't see that so much tonight."

12. Katie Stevens, 17 from Connecticutt is a high school student and is very close to her grandmother who has Alzheimers.  She sang Feelin Good by Michael Duble.
Judges:  Ellen: "It was good, but you're 17 and it was very intense. I want to see you be 17." Simon: "It was like your mum and dad had given you the song. And it was very pageanty." Kara: "You were kind of all over the place, and that's not like you." Randy: "I think you're a great talent. It was just too old for you. Be 17."  I agree with the judges.

One of the things I noticed tonight is that I'm really, really going to miss Simon Cowell when he's off this show. His comments tonight were really so much more precise and useful than any of the other judges. Ellen is obviously still trying to figure out what she can bring to the show -- it wasn't very clear tonight.  I like her on the show.  I have to admit, I was very doubtful but she does bring humor to the group.  I just didn't think she added a whole lot tonight.

Who were your favorites tonight?

Top 3:
- Crystal Bowersox
- Didi Benami
- Paige Miles

but I also voted for:
- Lilly Scott
- Katelyn Epperly
- Lacey Brown

Should be worried Thursday night:
- Janell Wheeler
- Ashley Rodriguez
-  Haley Vaughn

Well, calling for more snow tonight and tomorrow here!  Will this winter ever go away??

No comments: