Monday, September 15, 2008

Hope your weekend was as good as mine

I had a great weekend .... hope you did too! We were supposed to meet our daughter, Ashley, in Nashville last week, but the trip fell through. So, on Thursday, we found a decent price on an airline ticket from DC to Charlotte and Ashley flew down to visit with us for the weekend. On Saturday, we surprised her grandmom and picked her up for a drive to Mt. Airy. If you don't know, Mt. Airy is the home of Andy Griffith and Mayberry was based on Mt Airy. We arrived in time for lunch and stopped at the Snappy Lunch. The Snappy Lunch is famous for it's fried pork chop sandwich (definately, NOT on my Weight Watchers!!). There were no frills about this place, believe me! We had to wait in line outside on the sidewalk to get a table and they close at 1:15!! We ordered our sandwich and a bag of chips and a drink. There is no overhead I can assure you! They finally found us a menu - they were out of them because they let people take them for souveneirs. Our sandwich came wrapped in paper - no plates! But, it was good! I have never eaten a pork chop sandwich before (it was breaded and fried!!) but it was yummy!! I would definately recommend it.

After lunch, we strolled around downtown, stopping in the local candy shop. (I tell you, my diet was not on my mine today!!) We bumped into the town drunk, Otis .... remember him on Andy Griffith Show?? My mom had her picture taken with him. After that encounter, we were ready for some wine tasting! The Old North State Winery is housed in the downtown area in a renovated 1890's building. They had some very nice wines. Mom and I just tasted the sweet wines while Ashley did the whole package of reds and whites. I really only like white wines and the sweeter, the better. I would recommend their Reisling and for a really sweet wine, 38 Vines Starlight White which has a muscadine grape flavor.

Saturday night, we went to Joker's Dueling Piano Bar on Lake Norman (not far from my house). It was really fun but terrible smokey inside. It really bothered Ashley. She is used to going to the bars and restaurants in the DC / Maryland area where they are smoke-free. Sure wish NC would do that but I'm sure we will be the last state standing!!

Sunday morning Ashley and I got up early to hit the sales at Kohl's! Every gal's gotta do a little shopping!! Plus, Ashley had gotten her scratch off from Kohl's for 30% off, so what a deal!! (At least that is what we told Sonny!!) After our shopping excursion, we went out on our boat. We had lunch and just "chilled" while listening to the Panthers football game. We were resting up for our big game Sunday night - Steelers vs Browns! Of course, our team won (STEELERS).

After breakfast at Stacy's Restaurant in Denver, we headed for the airport. Ashley had a noon flight. I am always sad to see her go. I will really miss her next year when the Army moves her again - possibly to Texas or Washington state. But, she will be back for my birthday next month!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great picture of all of you Sharon. Don't know why you needed to lose weight - guess you must have gained since I last saw you in Shallotte. You look the same here. Glad to see a picture of Stacy; hope she's now OK about losing her pet.

Yes, Mt. Airy is OK - but we didn't get to get a pork chop sandwich; they were closed since it was a holiday that we were there last. We ate lunch across the street at a drug store that was good. Reminded me of a drug store at home - they always have great sandwiches. I'd love to see the picture of your mom with the town drunk - never saw him. LOL Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Sharon, This is a great picture. I'm glad you had a fun time with Ashley. I'm sure you miss her lots. Glad you enjoyed the pork chop sandwich, I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Snappys.
See you soon...Robin A