Saturday, August 23, 2008

Those Were The Days!

Tomorrow two of my college girlfriends are coming for lunch and a visit.  The three of us were best buddies at East Carolina many moons ago (in the 60's!!).  Brenda & Jackie had rooms across the hall from me our freshman year.  They were from the mountains of NC (Forest City) and to me, they were definitely hillbillies!!  They were both pretty poor and were at ECU on scholarships so they were really careful with their money unlike me!!  I was the city gal, born and raised in Charlotte, and pretty spoiled.  I didn't have a clue about the value of money, so we made a pretty interesting group.  I was always trying to talk them into going to Happy Hour at the local bars with me and they were trying to talk me into going to the "free flicks" on campus!!  Those were the days!!   We have so many stories to share of some of our escapades at ECU including following Steven Stills (Crosby, Stills & Nash) to Raleigh to party with him and his band; arriving in Greenville one night to find the town locked down because of MLK being shot and being stopped by the Nat'l Guard!!  Brenda and I added to our stories by waitress one summer at Myrtle Beach and driving my 1949 Dodge (The Toad!) to the beach.  One night while out bar hopping, The Toad broke down right in the middle of Atlantic Beach (back then, that was the black beach!).  In reality, they both had it together.  They both graduated from ECU, were elementary school teachers and are  retired now.  Whereas, my partying got the best of me and my grades and I dropped out after 3 years (one of the biggest regrets of my life - I was determined my children would not follow in my footsteps although there was no chance of that.)

Anyway .... we have continued our friendship over 40 years!!  Brenda and Jackie have both stayed in NC while I was moving about the country.  Since I have moved back to NC, we have tried to get together at one of our homes a couple of times a year.  We drag out the blender and make strawberry daiquiris just like we did back then.  Tomorrow is my turn and I have decided to do something different than daiquiris .... something more grown up!!  I bought some Chambord today and am going to make Pink-a-tinis!  I have had these before at a restaurant and have tried to duplicate them at home.  They are really good.  You mix Chambord with White Zinfandel and Cranberry Juice.... yum!! 

I made these bags for everyone and have put 4-5 cards and 101_1268envies in them.  My mom is coming for lunch as well as Brenda's mom too.  I think they will enjoy them.  They were very easy to make plus I was able to use up some of my old designer paper .  I got the instructions off Andrea's Blog.

Here they are close up:

101_1269101_1273

 

 

 

 

 

 

101_1272 101_1271

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Sharon, Great job on the purses, I made one yesterday after I found it on Andrea's Blog. That is one talented lady.. I don't know how she does all that with a newborn, and 4 small children. I have not posted mine yet. I can't decide what to put on the front. I'm sure your friends and the Moms will love them......