Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Staying Refreshed while we fight the War

In my quest to lose weight, I try to drink lots of water. I usually don't drink my water "straight" but flavor it up with lemondade. My favorite has been the little individual packets from Crystal Light. But, I have recently discovered another flavoring. If you like just a touch of flavor in your water, try True Lemon, Lime or Orange. It's refreshing!! I discovered this flavoring through an e-mail advertising free samples. If you know me, I'm always on the look-out for FREE!! But also, this company is doing a good thing for our country. They are donating 10 packets to Operation Gratitude for every new registration for their free samples. They have almost reached their goal of donating 1,000,000 packets for their Patriot Drive in May. (Operation Gratitude is sending 50,000 care packages to our troops serving Iraq and Afghanistan.) If you would like to receive free packets of True Lemon and find out more about it, click HERE. Stay hydrated this summer!!

The war in Iraq is on my mind a lot lately. I am not going to get political on you - that's another story!!! But, my daughter is a pediatrician in the Army and I am trying to get prepared for her phone call that she is being deployed. Just about everyone she did her residency with and the interns in the classes below and above her, have gotten the "call". She stays busy sending "care packages" to her friends and fellow classmates. (She has a secret cookie that she loves to send them to keep up their spirits.) So far, she has been safe since she is now doing a Fellowship in DC. But, her good friend in Fellowship (who will finish this June) has already gotten her orders to go to Iraq in August. Ashley keeps trying to prepare me that this is a reality. But, I tend to think like Scarlett - and will worry about it tomorrow. I hope tomorrow never comes. My son served in the Army also after his graduation from West Point. He has always been a very lucky guy. The good luck bucket follows him around! When he got his orders to go to Iraq, he had just gotten married. That was a bummer for him and his new wife and family. But, what could he do? Off he went. His luck came when his "office" in Baghdad happened to be one of Sadam's castles. He jokingly told us that he would wait to do his "morning constitutionals" on Sadam's porcelain throne!! Plus, to make things better, he ended up only having to serve there about 6 months. So we were fortunate to have him back safe and sound and hopefully, without too many bad memories. He came home and started his married life and has become a remarkable husband and father. (Can you tell, I am a proud mama????)

No comments: