Tuesday, June 15, 2010

July Monday Mailers

I got a call yesterday from my daughter.  She had arrived at Ft. Polk (Louisiana) safe and sound.  We all thought (as did she) that she would be roughing it out in the swamp land of Louisiana battling mosquitoes, but we were wrong.  Her group got assigned to barracks which are air-conditioned!  She is in the officer's quarter with 4 other women who are all a lower rank than she is.  She said 4-5 of the guys all told her they would get some lumber and build a partition for her privacy.  She assured them that she was ok and didn't need a partition!  While I was talking to her, someone came into her quarters and issued her a weapon ... but no magazine or ammo!  Luckily while we were in Texas, she went out with her Dad and his friend, Don, so they could teach her to shoot and she did real well.  She'd never shot a weapon before!  She never went through Basic Training when she joined the Army - it always conflicted with her Medical School classes so she's had to learn Army stuff as she's gone along.  She found out more details about her deployment - she won't be going to Ft. Hood until Aug. 25 and will be leaving for Iraq early in September.  She will be going to  Mosul.  She said most of the soldiers are disappointed that they will not be on the frontlines of the action.  Not me!!  I'm quite pleased with safety if such a thing is possible with a country at war.  When my son was over there 5 years ago, he worked in one of Hussain's palaces!

Another month of Monday Mailers.  Seems like I'm not the only one who struggles with making masculine cards.  I asked the gals what they wanted the theme to be for July and I got a couple of requests for masculine cards.  When I was at Ashley's, my supplies were limited.  She has this "Cheer to You" stamp set that I don't have so I made my card with it.  I wanted to make the beer foam with a white gel pen, but she didn't have one.  I even went to Michael's and JoAnns in search of one but with no luck.  So ... I stamped the foam onto white cardstock and cut it out.  There's more than one way to skin a cat!!  I used Brillant Blue, Creamy Caramel and More Mustard.  This was my card for the first week of July.


So, this weekend when I wasn't feeling so good, I managed to made this card.  It's pretty simple and uses BoHo Backgrounds which will be retiring in a couple of weeks.  I used Bordering Blue with Creamy Caramel and Close to Cocoa on this one with a brown Jumbo Brad.
This is the card I received last week from my MM partner, Danielle.  These colors are great!  She used the Butterfly Punch making it easy!!

No comments: