Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My Jewelry Tree

I did something a little different today.  I was creative but with jewelry!  Remember THIS post at Christmas?  Well, today the Newcomers Garden Club had the gal who created the Jewelry Trees come and help us each make one with our own special jewelry.  My Aunt Love had so much jewelry that I thought I would have no problems making one or two of my own .... except Mom has gotten rid of a lot of her jewelry.  So I scavenged through Mom's jewelry box, my jewelry box and even found some pretty cuff links in Sonny's box!  I had bought some velvet fabric a few weeks ago when I was in Pittsburgh.  Now all I have to do is find a pretty frame for my creation.

I wasn't going to do a tree shape because I was afraid it would look too Christmas-y and I want to hang it year round.  But, I changed my mind and I really like it!  Most of the jewelry are old pieces that were my aunt's - some shoe clips, pins and brooches.  But there are some pieces that are mine - like the spoon pin, Texas rhinestone pin, my name that came from a necklace I had when I was a teen, an earring that my kids gave me when they were young ...  What fun to look at something and remember when!

It was fairly easy to make.  We just glued the velvet to cardboard (hot glue); cut the backs off the jewelry with wire clippers; made the arrangement and hot-glued them down.

1 comment:

Regina Andari - workinouttheinks.blogspot.com said...

What a fun way to turn jewelry you no longer wear (or would never wear) into a work of art . . . one that's full of love and memories!