Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Obsessions and Forgiveness

Hope you had a great Valentine's Day!  I played bridge at a friend's house and afterwards, met Sonny at the movies.  We went to see a "chick flick" (Just Go With It) which he doesn't usually agree to do!  But, since it was Valentine's .... ain't that sweet??? I actually think I guilted him into it!  He brought me a beautiful card and a heart shaped pretzel!  Yep, the spark is still there!!  The movie was cute and made for an enjoyable evening.

As you can see, I was busy today working on a new blog look.  The title at the top was designed with the help of My Digital Studio.  I have such fun designing something different every few months. (The shamrocks on the sides were a pre-made background from Blogger.)

I have been pondering what to write on my post all day.  I have a few things I want to say and to get off my chest but I am trying to decide the best way to do that.  It started yesterday when I was playing bridge.  One of the gals there is a little (a lot) abrasive.  Shortly after I'd arrived, she turned to me and said "I'm glad the Steelers lost the Super Bowl."  I understand that everyone has a right to his/her opinion but where did that come from?   We weren't even talking football!   I was there to play bridge and didn't even have any black and gold on!!  The season is over and it's time to get on with other things.  She later made a comment that she didn't understand why all the Steeler fans live in Mooresville - everywhere she looks, there they are! Little did she know that the gal whose house we were at lived in Pittsburgh and is a fan of the Steelers as was another gal who was there.  I told her it wasn't just Mooresville.  We have lived in Texas and Washington and there were huge followers of the Steelers there as well.  We have been to Tucson and to other cities across the country and found Steeler bars there as well that were full of the black and gold supporters.  Get over it people .... the Steeler Nation is everywhere!!   I have had someone recently refer to me as being obsessed with the Steelers.  I enjoy the game, support my chosen team and love the rivalry with other teams during the season.  But when the season is over, it's on to something else until August rolls around again.  To me an obsession is when your thoughts and actions are dominated by something 24/7.  So ... maybe I'm obsessed with my stamping?  That's what it says in my blog header - Stampin' 24/7!!   There are a lot of things in this world to be obsessed with - looking pretty, Disney, gambling, revenge, drugs, work, etc. but I'll take stampin' and football any day!

This woman at bridge didn't stop with the football talk.  At lunch, we had an interesting conversation about Northerners and Southerners.  Of the 8 ladies who were there, we were probably split between northerners and southerners.  I have lived in the south my whole life but I do not have a problem with most people from the north.  Heck, I've been married to a Yankee for 37 years and my mom still calls him a "damn yankee."  I'll agree that there are some "yankees" who have moved down south that I wish would go back to New York or New Jersey.  But anywhere you live, you are going to have to deal with ornery people - the South has them, the North has them, the West and the East and probably Europe too!  We all have to live together in this world and it would be so much nicer if we could all just get along and learn to accept each other's faults.  I wish everyone would learn to forgive each other for whatever they perceive to be wrong. Everyone has been hurt by the actions or words of another before. These wounds can leave you with lasting feelings of anger, bitterness and even vengeance — but if you don't practice forgiveness, you may be the one who pays most dearly. By embracing forgiveness, you embrace peace, hope, gratitude and joy.   Letting go of grudges and bitterness makes way for compassion, kindness and peace.  The Bible instructs us to forgive as the Lord forgave us:
Colossians 3:13  Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
Matthew 6:14-16  For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

OK - I'm stepping down off my soap box.  Tomorrow I will be playing mahjong at a friend's house.  Let's hope things go better and I'll be back to sharing stamping projects with you!  Have a happy day!

1 comment:

Ellen Jarvis said...

Sharon, interesting post. To me, forgiveness is a gift that you give to yourself, for s/he who holds the anger or prejudice is like an urn holding a burning acid. As long as the acid is held within, the only one hurt is the urn itself. Love and let love; live and let live.

Forgive the woman with her biases, as well as for her indiscretion. Send her a card to cheer her, and maybe she'll be less grumpy the next time you see her.

Happy Mah-Jongg!

Ellen