Monday, August 2, 2010

I'm Back!

I'm back from our weekend trip to the mountains.  Ashley was able to see the true meaning of the Smokey Mountains.  The fog (or smoke) hung in the mountains most of the time we were there.  I was a little afraid our motel would be a little "sketchy" but it was ok.  It was really old (think 1948!) but clean and a nice place to rest our heads at night.  They catered a lot to bikers and there were quite a few old timers there with their Harleys.  Made me start thinking about how fun that would be to tool around the mountains on the back of a motorcycle!   Our motel was between Cherokee and Bryson City which worked well for us.  We had reservations for the outdoor drama, Unto These Hills, in Cherokee on Thursday night but we really didn't need them.  The place was probably not even half full.  We did discover that there are not many restaurants in Cherokee except fast food chains!  We went to one of the few local restaurants to try to get dinner before the play.  We had 1 1/2 hours which we figured was plenty of time.  The restaurant was full but we were seated pretty quickly.  Then we waited for a waitress .... about 15-20 minutes.  We looked around and noticed none of the tables in our area had food on them.  Most of the people did have drinks and silverware but they were all waiting too.  After no sign of a waitress, we got up to leave.  The family at the table next to us told me they had been there 1 1/2 hours!!  Another couple beside us got up and left too - their meal had gotten lost in the kitchen.  So that night, we ended up eating food at the play - popcorn and nachos! 

On the drive up to Cherokee, we drove along the Blue Ridge Parkway.  We stopped and took a short hike to the lookout where we could see Grandfather Mountain.  It was a beautiful day!



We didn't see any real bears but all around Cherokee were painted bears that were pretty neat.  Here is one of them:


This is the closest thing to a real bear that I saw:

At one time, he was a real bear but the poor thing has seen better times!

On Saturday, we went tubing down the Tuskaseegee River.  It was fun except when it started raining, thundering and lightning!  I was truly freaking out.  But I didn't have a choice - either continue to paddle down the river or get under the trees on the bank of the river.  Sonny and Ashley convinced me I was safer staying in my rubber tube and paddling but believe me, there were a few tears coming down my face!!


This was before the rain - when we stopped to take a break.


If we ever go back, I will rent a raft instead of a tube.  It was fun but there wasn't enough current running and my arms got really tired of paddling.  At least with a raft, I would have a paddle.  The rafts were flying by us.  But we did really good staying on our rafts through the rapids .... well, at least the females in the group.  Sonny tipped over THREE times going over the rapids! 

My time with Ashley is flying by!  I can't believe I only have 3 more days with her.  We spent time with my mom today.  We picked her up at her water aerobics class and took her to lunch.  Then I had to take her home and break the news to her that one of her best friends in Charlotte had died this morning.  Luckily, she had gone to see her last week and talked to her again on Friday but it was really hard on her.  This is the last of the group of friends she had in Charlotte that she and my dad used to pal around with.  It sure sucks getting old, doesn't it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your mother's loss but I have to disagree with you about getting old. 12 years ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I am now 69 years old & looking forward to getting older. Recently we learned of 3 young people who are friends or family of our family(all 3 around the age of 50) who have had surgery & treatment for brain cancer. Age is certainly a matter of mind and most of us hope to grow older by enjoying each day. Yes, as we grow older we lose family & friends but let's celebrate and be thankful for each day we are given!