Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Friends

"It takes a long time to grow an old friend."   ~John Leonard

I had a wonderful day Monday with my girlfriends.  My two college friends come for a visit Monday.  It is so wonderful that we have kept in touch all these years.  We met in 1966 when Jackie and Brenda lived across the hall from me at Umstead Dorm at ECU.  They were such a livesaver to me since my roomies weren't the greatest.  They were both from the mountains and called me the rich city girl.  We were pretty inseparable and all three were education majors.  Those were the days!  We have come a long way from those silly college girls to now be silly senior citizens! 



This is us at the end of the night drinking our usual strawberry daiquiris!  I used to make daiquiris for us in the dorm room - sitting on the floor with the blender and the contraband rum.  Of course, drinking was against the rules in the dorm but that didn't stop us.  So, everytime we get together one of us brings the rum and we have a drink or two. 

We started out the day Monday with lunch which Brenda treated us to since she will be first one of the three of us to receive her Social Security check!  Her birthday is next week, mine in October, and Jackie in December.  Then we headed out to do some damage with our credit cards!  We shopped till we dropped and finished up with appetizers at P F Chang's.  We had to watch our time because Brenda had forgotten to bring the rum so we had to get to the ABC store before they closed! 

It's funny - in college, everyone thought Jackie and I were sisters.   We really never saw the connection.  Jackie told us about one time when she was stopped in the hall of our dorm by a girl from Charlotte that I had gone to school with and who knew me.  The girl, Jane, asked Jackie if she was my sister.  Jackie replied, "no - are you Dracula's sister?"  That is so funny now and so unlike Jackie who was always pretty quiet and shy.  (Of course, around Brenda and I, we didn't give her much opportunity to get a word in edgewise.)  Well, last night I found an old picture taken our freshman year.  It was of the three of us pretending to be in a band.  Brenda was playing guitar with the broom, one of us was drumming a washpan and the other was singing in a pretend mike.  Would you believe Jackie and I had a hard time trying to figure out which one of the two was her and which one was me.  Brenda had to tell us.  I guess we really did look alike back then.  Jackie said she felt bad now being a smart-ass to Jane!!

Do you have a friend you haven't connected with in a long time?  Give her a call!  Girlfriends are the best!

No comments: