Friday, July 24, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!

Saturday is my Mom’s 81st birthday!  Today my two sisters and myself took her downtown Charlotte.  It was a wonderful day and I think she really enjoyed herself.  I know we wore her out …. she was snoring on the way back home!!  We started out at the Levine Museum of the New South looking at the exhibits of Charlotte and the South the way it used to be back when farming and cotton were the main way to make a living.  After the museum, we walked over to Mert’s Heart and Soul Restaurant!  Yum, Yum!!  We had a great lunch!!  The people at Mert’s really know how to cook the southern way!  I had a vegetable plate  - green beans, mac & cheese, squash, okra & tomatoes and some of the best cornbread you’ve ever eaten!!  We sure wanted dessert, but unfortunately, there was no room in our stomachs. 

After lunch, we had to walk all that food off so we headed to Tryon Street and wandered up and down trying to remember where all the department stores used to be located.  When I was a young girl, I used to take the bus downtown on Saturdays and visit my grandmother and great aunt where they worked (Montaldo’s) and visit my grandfather at the men’s clothing store he worked at.  Then I would go to Woolworth’s to spend the money my grandfather had given me and perhaps to the movies.  It was a fun day.  Well, now Montaldo’s is the Mint Museum of Craft & Design and the men’s store my grandfather worked in is Hooters!!  It makes me sad that the city leaders thought it best to implode most of the old buildings downtown to put in new ones.  (The Mint Museum is still in the Montaldo’s building which is gorgeous.)  

It was a fun day and it was nice to be with my sisters and my mom.  Tomorrow we are going to cook ribs on the grill at Mom’s house and celebrate her birthday.

Here is the card I will be giving her tomorrow:

I used the SU Hostess set Wings of Friendship.

Mom's Birthday CArd

No comments: