Friday, October 17, 2014

MDS Monday Challenge - Herringbone Background

I missed the MDS Monday challenge last week since I was out of town so I wanted to try and do this week's challenge.  Well, what a challenge it was!!  We were to create a Herringbone Background . This was a new one for me and it took quite a bit of time to create.  I tried it first with different DSP's in autumn colors but it was just too busy.  Then I tried in-colors - not the look I was going for.  Then I decided to keep it simple (stupid!) and just do black and white patterns - that did the trick!  I got most of the papers from the Night and Day DSP.  To do the herringbone technique, you create a square punch and elongate it making it into a skinny strip.  Then you insert your paper.  There is a step-by-step tutorial by Juanita Golson on mydigitalstudio.net  if you are interested in trying it.  I did a lot of cut and pasting and when I got it the way I wanted, I "grouped" the items and saved them.  Here is what the page looks like with out the embellishments.



Here is the page after I added embellishments:


This picture was taken last week at the hockey game in Pittsburgh. Looks real, huh?   I posted the picture a few days ago and had a friend ask me how we were able to get in the box with the players!  Well, sorry to spoil it but this was actually a cardboard cut out.  Just wish we had the pull to sit down there with the players!!

I used a lot of elements from the Game Day Kit and I recolored the burlap ribbon to Crushed Curry. Check out the other pages using this technique here.

.

5 comments:

Yapha said...

What a fun page! I love your black and white herringbone. It looks great with that picture! Thanks for joining us at MDS Monday.

Tami Hewlett said...

I love the black and white herringbone! Great page!!!

Heidi Baks said...

Your background looks fabulous! I love the B&W effect... which would work for so many different photos. Thanks for joining MDS Monday this week.

Unknown said...

Black and white is the perfect way to make it work for your pictures... you can't go wrong with it... and your players DO look real! So fun! Thanks for joining us at MDS Monday this week!

beth rush said...

Your cardboard cut out really fooled me! how funny! Your herringbone turned out really great, love it in the black & white. Thanks for joining us this week!!