Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Fall Beauty

Sorry I've been MIA but have just been on the go here.  Friday, I played mahjong and when I was through, I met Sonny for a meeting at the fire station regarding our neighborhood and the state taking over and maintaining our roads.  After that, we drove into town to see a movie.  We saw Taken 2 and he got his movie picking privledges back since it was a good action packed movie.  On Saturday, I volunteered at the Sherrills Ford Library Fall Festival and did face painting for a few hours.  After that, I HAD to go check out the new Hobby Lobby that opened last week in Mooresville!!!  I also stopped by Stampers Alley and had a nice visit with Brenda - it had been too long!  I didn't buy much at Hobby Lobby but it is good to know that it is there when I need something and can't wait for SU to ship it. 

On Sunday, Sonny and I drove up to the mountains to check out the fall foilage.  It wasn't great but what we did see was pretty.  It really depended on what altitude you were out whether there was color or not.  We drove through Blowing Rock hoping to have lunch there but the restaurant was packed and we didn't want to wait.  So we went on to Boone and finally found a restaurant that didn't have a line coming out the door!  The foilage in that area really hadn't changed much yet.  So we hopped on the Blue Ridge Parkway and started climbing.  We got to Linville Falls and walked down to see the beautiful falls.  The leaves there had changed and were very pretty.   We did discover that there is not much red in the foilage this year - mostly orange and lots of yellow.  We left Linville Falls around 5:00 and within an hour we were socked into the clouds.  It was scary to me not to be able to see ahead of the car so I kept trying to fall asleep!  We ended up in Asheville and found a hotel for the night.  The fall color was spotty at best in that area - with some of the trees already bare.  On Sunday, we drove over to Lake Lure and had lunch before heading back home.  They are expecting the leaves to change there within the next 10 days.  But, we had a beautiful view of the lake while eating lunch.  That is a place I want to return to and rent a place and just have a relaxing weekend.

Enjoy the pictures!

Our view from the outside patio having lunch at Lake Lure

Lake Lure view from restaurant

Trees along the road after leaving Asheville


Not many reds in those mountains!

Linville Falls

Lake (or river??) at Linville Falls


Linville Falls

No comments: