Wednesday, March 2, 2011

It's American Idol time!

Do you watch American Idol?  If you're a reader of my blog, you know that I am a big fan.  I wasn't so sure at the beginning of the show how I was going to like the new judges.  I am still not totally sold on Jennifer and  Steven Tyler.  I keep wondering how Steven Tyler is going to keep his mouth shut during the live show.  I'm not a prude but I don't care to hear the "F" word all the time.  There are a lot of young people who watch this show and he's not such a great role model in my opinion!  My updates will be a day late (at least) this year.  Since Sonny is not watching the show with me, I am having to tape it upstairs in my craft room and watch it the next day by myself.  The top 12 guys performed Tuesday night. Our votes this week will create the Top 10 with the 5 highest vote-getting guys and girls each. On top of that, the judges will add their Wild Card picks. 

So, here are my thoughts on what I just finished watching - the top 12 boys. 

Clint Jun Gamboa, “Superstitious.”  It was an OK performance. He can sing but he wasn't a favorite.


Jovany Baretto, “I’ll Be.”  His performance was boring and weak . Randy Jackson agrees with me. 

Jordan Dorsey, “OMG.” OMG is right.  He’s been a good singer but tonight it just wasn’t there. That clearly isn’t who he is as a singer and he is a TERRIBLE dancer.  I think he is gone.

Tim Halperin, “Streetcar Symphony.”  The song choice was just bad - it  was not his best song.  Maybe he’ll get the wildcard from the judges.

Brett Loewenstern, “Light My Fire" He can do better.  How many times did he toss his hair???

James Durbin,” Another Thing Comin.” Wow. He was pretty amazing. His voice was powerful, yet controlled. He showed great confidence. His high notes didn’t make me want to leave the room.  

Robbie Rosen, “In the Arms of an Angel.” His performance tonight was weak. He showcased his soft and vulnerable voice but he was pretty flat through most of the song.  I think he’ll still be safe, but not because of his performance tonight. 

Scotty McCreery, “Letters From Home.” I am a FAN!!   He’s got such great control over that low voice of his. It’s an impeccable sound. And the way he ended that song. Amazing.  Doesn't hurt that I love that song!  He'll make it big as a country singer.

Stefano Langone, “Just The Way You Are.” This guy is so likable.  And he’s cute so he’ll be getting a lot of votes for those reasons. Those reasons also means he’s incredibly marketable. And he can sing, too!  He’s very believable. 

Paul McDonald, “Maggie Mae.” His performance of “Maggie Mae” could be a hit today. It was so unique and enjoyable. One of the best of the night. I also love this Rod Stewart song!

Jacob Lusk, “House is Not a Home.”   His singing is technically perfect.  His performance tonight was flawless and its going to earn him enough votes to secure a spot in the Top 12. 

Casey Abrams, “I Put a Spell on You.”  Casey, you sound sexy. Sure. J Lo thinks so. But I think you still need to trim your beard   Like Jacob, Casey is technically a perfect singer. 

Aside from a few sure-thing goners, none of the other fellas were so atrocious they need to go just yet. It should be interesting Thursday night!

What were your thoughts on tonight’s performances? Any new favorites? Any thoughts on who will be leaving us Thursday?

1 comment:

Ellen Jarvis said...

Hi Sharon ...

I'm wishing I had a DVR in my craft room, the PaperJungle! I'm an American Idol fan too. I must say, I DO LOVE the new judges and of course, Randy. (I don't like that Randy has taken on the Simon Cowell "be critical" role, though.)

On my top five, in no particular order:
Casey, Jacob, Stefano, Scotty and James. Any one of the others could get the wildcard vote, though I'm suspecting Jordan. The choices are tough to make this year -- the competition is fierce, with excellent singers all around.

Looking forward to your girls' review!