Thursday, March 17, 2011

American Idol Night

Naima Adedapo, “What’s Love Got To Do With It” (1984). She got off to a bad start then stayed flat during most of the song.  Tina is a powerhouse singer and Naima did nothing to even come close to that greatness. She didn’t even sing the chorus. She probably put herself back in the bottom after redeeming herself last week.  

Paul McDonald, “I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues” (1984). I think Paul could’ve chosen a better song. When I think of Paul, I don’t think of Elton.  But he sang in his unique voice, did his wacky dance moves and smiled that crazy-perfect smile  I like Paul, but tonight, I thought his performance was just OK.


Thia Megia, “Colors of The Wind” (1995).   I liked what I heard from her but it was boring.  I agree with Randy.   I do hope she steps it up next week. I’m tried of all the sleepy songs! 

James Durbin, “I’ll Be There For You” (1989).   James is such a performer.  He had me singing along.   James did something smart - he’s planted himself in the finale. He got Steven Tyler to agree to sing with him AT the finale. That was brilliant. He’ll have people voting for him for that reason alone. 

Haley Reinhart, “I’m Your Baby Tonight” (1990).  This just wasn’t the right song for her voice. And I agree with Randy. Who is she? Who does she want to be? I’m  confused. I still like the blues vibe we hear, but song choice is her downfall right now. She had some good moments but moments aren’t good enough. 

Stefano Langone, “If You Don’t Know Me By Now” (1989). Loved it!!  His performance was absolutely flawless. Great vocals. Believability. He owned it. 

Pia Toscano, “Where Do Broken Hearts Go” (1988).   I love Pia.  She is in it to win it as the judges said!  Her talent is undeniable

Scotty McCreery, “Can I Trust You With My Heart” (1993). I got physically angry when I heard Scotty was once again singing a country song. I know he sings country and shouldn’t stop, but I want him to take a rock song and put a country spin on it. I was so mad! And I wanted to hate his performance, but I couldn’t. He has this weird power over me. I can’t not like his performance or that voice.

Karen Rodriguez, “Love Will Lead You Back” (1989).   No - not for me - another snoozer. She brought nothing new or exciting to the song and she’s probably in big trouble.  

Casey Abrams, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (1991).  He was SCREAMING in my opinion, but this is not a favorite genre of mine. I thought it was awful. Like Jennifer said, Cobain had this mad intensity when he sang that song, but he didn’t scream it.  I knew Steven Tyler would love it though. 

Lauren Alaina, “I’m The Only One” (1994).  Can she not say “hell”?  Did she really change the lyric from “burning hell” to “burning flame”?  Her performance was good. She completely redeemed herself from last week’s not-so-good performance. And she’s sick. That’s star quality right there. 

Jacob Lusk, “Alone” (1987).   I think this song has been done every single season. It’s time to retire it. I   thought it was weird for him.  He  blew out his pitch at one point that made Jennifer make a funny face.  He needs to hold back a little bit. I respect the power in his voice but he just can’t keep in under control.  


Probably the Bottom Three: Karen Rodriguez, Casey Abrams, Naima Adedapo
Probably Going Home: Karen Rodriguez

1 comment:

Josie0602 said...

You are spot on with all your comments!! I love Casey but I was really disappointed in his performance....thought he wasnt really taking it serious enough and he was BAD!! I loved Lauren Alaina...she is such a cute kid and I want her to go far. Pia is indisputably the best and most consistent female in the contest. Stephano killed it!! He really did well and I really like him. James did well too. I think Casey may be in danger of going home tonight but then again, he has a wacky charm that might keep him in it!