Thursday, June 9, 2011

Baby, It's Hot Outside!

Are you getting any relief from the heat where you live?  I know the hot weather is breaking records all along this area.  I think I saw where some schools in the northeast were cancelled today because of the heat.  We had another scorcher today but I think a thunderstorm is coming tonight.  Maybe it will cool things down but more than likely, it will just make it muggier tomorrow!  

Yesterday the Golden Boys had their annual Progressive Dinner.  Some friends came by on their boat and picked us up.  We all (100+) rafted up together in a cove for a couple of hours before we headed over to the Bomze's home for dinner.  It was so hot that most people stayed in the water the whole time during the raft up.  That doesn't usually happen.  Last year there were only a handful of people who got in the water.  It's funny because this event is usually held later in the summer but they changed it this year so it wouldn't be so hot!!  Well, that didn't quite work out!  The Bomze's have held this event in their home for the past 3 years.  They are braver than me .... how would you like to have 150 people at your house for dinner???  Of course, the meal is catered but Suze was still gracious enough to make a delicious rum punch for us!  

After a couple of lemonade and sweet tea vodka drinks during the raft up and a rum punch at the dinner coupled with the heat, I had a splitting headache when we got home.  That's why I didn't post anything last night!!  Plus, I had another reason ...... the new SU catalog arrived about 30 minutes before we left the house.  So, when I got home, I quickly took my shower and sat down to pore through the catalog.  I always make a Wish List as I'm going through the catalog.  It's fun to look back at the end of the year and see how many things I've gotten from my wish list or if I still feel the same way about the items.   This year I have about 18 stamps sets on my list plus ribbon, embossing folders, Decor Elements .....  I can't wait for you to see it in July!!  

Now, on to the retired sets.  I've made a few more cards for my giveaway (see details HERE).  This time I used All Holidays and Define Your Life stamp sets.


 This card has very little stamping on it.  The "Merry Christmas" sentiment is from All Holidays and it is white embossed.  I will miss this set because it is always a "go to" set for the holidays.  The DSP is from a pack that was available a few years ago.  It pairs really good with the retired Taken With Teal.  I always like the Teal card stock but I am down to 1-2 pieces now.  The little dew drops are non SU as is the ribbon.

This card uses Define Your Life stamp.  I didn't use this set enough although I've had it a long time.  The circles are Nestabilities.  The ribbon, DSP and card stock are all retired.  The DSP came in a big 12" x 12" pack and I still have bunches left.  The card stock is Bermuda Bay (retired) and Rich Razzleberry.  I love the butterflies from the Beautiful Wings Embosslits Die.   I used non SU sequins in the center of each butterfly.

Another card using the All Holidays stamp set.  This was probably my favorite sentiment in this set.  I think it will be missed by many!!  The DSP is from the current catalog - Greenhouse Gala. If you like it, you'd better order it before the end of the month or it will be GONE.   I used Nesties for the circles.  The polka dots are from a retired SU background stamp.  The flower is a pleated flower that is really easy to make.  I am sharing the directions with you.  Check it out:

I used 2 punches to make the different sized flowers - the 2 3/8" scallop punch and the 1 3/4" scallop punch.  Punch 2 scallop circles with each punch.



 Next, using a scoring tool, score all 4 of your scallops between each scallop.  See below - the black marks would be the score marks:


Your next step is to cut each of the scallop circles on one of the score lines as seen below:

Fold - accordian style - on each fold line, using your bone folder to crease well.

Then you will adhere each pleated circle to the other one.  Use a glue dot or something a little more durable than a glue stick or SNAIL adhesive.  Line up the larger scallop with the other large scallop and then the smaller scallop with it's mate.  So you will end up with 2 flowers.  
 Next you will adhere a button, or brad in the hole in the middle of the flowers and adhere to your project.

Which card is your favorite today?



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sharon,

Another great array of beauties
especially the - My Kind and Wonderful Friend done in the orange
tones. I love this color combination. Usually if go to the
paler colors, but you are quickly
changing my mind. Keep up the great works.

Diane Cavin