Saturday, October 17, 2009

Reunion time at the beach

Well, we're in North Myrtle Beach, aka OD (Ocean Drive).  OD was THE beach for us to go to back in the 60's and 70's.  To prove it, there are about 4 high school reunions going on here this weekend .... 3 from Charlotte and one from Rock Hill, SC.  Our group (South Meck) have been meeting here for the past 5 years.  It's just an informal get-together of several classes, but my class ('66) is the organizer so we are the best represented. I feel like I'm in high school again .... not a period in my life I would like to repeat!  I was pretty shy in high school and transferred to South in the 11th grade - after cliques were already formed, if you know what I mean.  And that's what it feels like here now.  They've been meeting for 5 years and have their cliques formed.  You know, the jocks and the cheerleaders!  I have to say though that the guys are a lot more friendlier than the girls.  But, the girls have held up better than the guys!!  There have been 3-4 guys that have really been friendly and inviting to Sonny and myself.  The funniest thing is that there is one guy here who transferred out of South after 10th grade (before I even arrived).  The only reason I knew him was he and my best friend were going out at the time.  Well, when I told him Thursday night she was my best friend (and the only person I have kept in touch with from HS), that is all he has talked about for 3 days!  To hear him talk, she is and was the love of his life.  I sure feel sorry for his wife.  So far, no one that I ran around with is here.  I am hoping tonight a few of them will show up. 

Sonny and I have already scoped out a Pittsburgh bar to watch the football game tomorrow so we are set for some football! 

We have been eating some wonderful seafood.  We drove to Calabash (NC) last night and had some delicious flounder and shrimp.  I'm hoping I can convince him to go back tonight.  Last night I had fried flounder ... tonight I would like some broiled!  The NC line is only about 10 minutes away so it is not a long drive and Calabash is the Seafood Capital of this area!!  It is wall to wall seafood restaurants.

It has been cold and rainy the whole time we have been here until today!  The sun came out and as long as you are in the sun, it is nice and warm.  There is a bit of a breeze blowing that is a cold wind, but all in all, it is nice.  We took a long walk this morning on the beach and Sonny is sitting out on our balcony now reading.  Our room overlooks the ocean and we have left the sliding glass door open at night and sleep to the sound of the waves!  What a life!!

1 comment:

Wanda in GSO said...

Sharon, I've heard at reunions that there is still "clicks" as if they are still in High School. I've never been to my reunion, and don't really care too. But I am glad that you all are in N Myrtle Beach now - sorry it's cold, but it's cold here in Greensboro too. Glad to hear you're getting some of that yummy fish too in Calabash. Makes me want some now. Last time I went to a beach was in NC and it was down from Carolina Beach, and they had the best food too. Kurie Beach, I believe and the place was across from the pier. If you go there anytime, you may want to check it out too. (this is not when we went for QM though) - been at least 10 years. Isn't that funny - I hardly ever go to the beach anymore, but when I do, I try different ones now.

Glad ya'll are still traveling! Love to you,