Sunday, March 27, 2016

Happy Easter - Spring has Sprung!

There is a lot of confusion regarding what Easter Sunday is all about.  For some it means decorating eggs and looking for the Easter Bunny.  Most people are confused as to how the resurrection of Christ is related to the Easter eggs and bunny!  Are you?  I was so I decided to look for an answer. Biblically speaking, there is no connection between the resurrection of Jesus and the common traditions related to Easter.  Essentially what happened is that in order to make Christianity more attractive to non-Christians, the ancient Roman Catholic Church mixed the celebration of Jesus with celebrations that involved spring fertility rituals.  Those rituals are the source of the egg and bunny traditions.  Hopefully when you celebrate today with your loved ones, you will remember what the day is all about while having fun looking for Easter eggs!

Spring is springing up all around me.  While I was out last week, I snapped several pictures of the beginnings of Spring in North Carolina.

These are the trees blooming at the entrance to my neighborhood.  While I was taking the picture, it looked like it was snowing as the flowers were blowing off the trees.


This gorgeous tree is in my Mom's yard.  (That is her house in the background.)  What makes me so sad is that Mom's eyes have deteriorated so much that she can't see this tree and enjoy it's beauty.


I took this picture underneath the tree looking up to the sky.


Can you spot the dogwood just starting to bloom:


This is one of my favorite flowers / trees.  The dogwood tree means rebirth and resurrection and Christianity as a whole.

 
I don't know what this is called but it is really pretty.  This is right beside my driveway so I get to see it every day.  This is the best it has looked in our ten years here.


I wish this was in my yard!  It is in my neighborhood and I had to stop and take a picture.  I have always loved a Forsythis (or as many Southerners call it, a Yellow Bell).  I planted one when we lived in Texas and in Washington.  Don't know why I haven't done so here!!  I'll have to get Sonny on it.


Last but not least are these pretty Hellebores (or Lenten Roses).  You'll have to take my word for it that they are pretty.  Guess they are just shy and like to be droopy.  I like to cut them and float them in a crystal bowl of water.



Hope you have enjoyed my little bit of spring and have a wonderful Easter!!

No comments: