Thursday, May 5, 2011

Idol - Top 5 - 2011

Only five left! We’re getting down to the wire. I’m always a little bit sad when a season of American Idol draws to a close, how about you? I was excited that they each got to perform twice last night. There were some surprises, and I found myself disagreeing with the judges a few times. 

Sheryl Crow was the guest mentor and the theme was “Now and Then” — they each sang a current song and one from the 1960s.   I really didn't think Sheryl Crow added much to the night!

James sang Closer to the Edge.   His voice got lost in the background music or something.   The other singers didn’t sound like that. It was weird, but the judges loved it so I have to assume it sounded better live. He was good and I'm starting to think he has a good shot at winning this thing.

Jacob sang No Air. I love this song, but not on Jacob, and the judges felt the same way. They kept telling him it’s about finding the right song.  Jacob is getting a little old for me.  Let's see what he does with his second song.

Lauren sang Flat On the Floor.  I think she could have taken it further, but it was a great fit for her voice and she did a respectable job with it.

Scotty was in his element last night singing Gone.  He reminded me why we all fell in love with him to begin with. It was playful, he was working the stage like an old pro, and it showed his vocal range. I thought he really took his performance power up a notch last night.

Haley sang an unreleased Lady Gaga song, You and I. The judges thought she was taking a risk by doing an unknown song and criticized her but I actually thought it was pretty impressive. I particularly enjoyed the first half.   I thought it really showcased her voice. Haley’s come a long way and I thought the judges were a bit harsh.   And maybe they were right on, but if so, then they were too easy on a lot of the other performances. Sometimes I think the judges are deliberately trying to sway the audience to vote for the ones they want to see make it to the end.

Round Two kicked off with James’ emotional performance of Without You.  There wasn’t a dry eye in the house, or in my chair!   Despite that, the vocals weren’t his best and I can’t help but remember former Idol hopefuls who went home before their time because of one unfortunate performance. I hope James isn’t in danger tonight.

Jacob sang Love Hurts, and while the judges loved it, I thought it was way too… Jacob. The beginning was lovely but by the end I was hoping that Jacob goes home tonight.   I think his time has come.

Lauren sang Unchained Melody, and I’m surprised the mentors let her get away with that. It is just way over used and while parts of it were beautiful, she brought nothing new to it despite the judges saying “there’s nothing to judge.” WHAAA??? Cop out. I think they just didn’t want to be negative. Simon would have been all over that.

Scotty sang Always On My MindAnother solid performance and a wise song choice for him. It was totally different from his first song, and like the judges said, it gave us a taste of what a Scotty concert might be like.  I think he secured himself a place in the final four.

Haley closed the show with House of the Rising Sun, which I thought was fantastic. She’s been growing on me in recent weeks, and this clinched it.  She made the song her own.

Best Performer of the Night: Scotty
Bottom Two: Jacob and Haley or James
Going Home: Jacob

No comments: