Friday, July 7, 2017

Fun with Embossing Paste

When the Embossing Paste was first announced at Stampin' Up's On Stage, I didn't think I was interested.  But last month I decided to order it and see what the fuss was all about.  Well, now that I have used it, I am hooked!  It adds such a nice dimension to a card.  Here is my favorite card that I made using the paste.  I took a small bit of the paste out of the jar and put it on my Silicone Mat and mixed in 2-3 drops of Smoky Slate reinker.  Use the palette knife to get the color all mixed in and then using the Brick Wall mask (Pattern Party Decorative Mask - p. 201) smooth the paste onto the Smoky Slate card.  It doesn't take very long to dry.  For this card, I als used the Hearth and Home Thinlits to make the window.  I sponged a piece of white cardstock in Soft Sky and Tempting Turquoise.  Next I cut out this cute little bunny with the birthday cake from the Birthday Memories Designer Paper.  I had to cut this one out but a lot of the images in the DSP can be cut out with a framelit!  I glued the bunny down to the sponged background.  I adhered a piece of window sheet to the back of the window and put it all together using dimensionals.  This whole piece was adhered to a Basic Gray card.  (The red ribbon I used is retired.)


Check out this video from Stampin' Up for the "how to's" of using the paste.  Just a couple of tips that I'm not sure are mentioned in the video.  When you get your paste, the jar will only be half full.  That is the way it is supposed to be.  It settles in shipping.  Each jar has 4 fl. oz of volume.  It dries pretty fast so I would recommend keeping the lid on it as much as possible.  Also if you scrape it back into the jar after using, make sure you push it all down towards the bottom of the jar.  If you leave some on the rim, it will dry out.  There is also a picture of using the paste on page 176 of the catalog.


Here is another card I made with the paste.  


I used a piece of the glossy cardstock that I made last week with a reinker technique (see HERE) and another mask with the Embossing Paste and colored it with Marina Mist reinker.  The leaves are from Vintage Leaves which also have matching framelits.  To make the flowers multi colored, I did the Baby Wipe Technique.  I dropped a few drops of reinkers on to a baby wipe, thus making my own custom stamp pad.  The colors I used were Early Espresso, Lemon Lime Twist, Marina Mist and Soft Suede.


I had a little bit of the colored paste left over and instead of throwing it away, I added a little Lime Twist reinker to the blue and applied it to another piece of card stock that I had available.  I'll be using it later to make a card.

No comments: