Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Twinkling Christmas Lights

Yesterday was a slower day for us.  Ashley headed off to work and I helped out by doing her laundry.  I even had time to work on a Christmas project (hope I get it finished in time!).  We met her for lunch, stopped at WalMart which wasn't too crazy and got back home for Sonny to finish some projects he had started on (like fixing her gutters).  Last night, we used Ashley's gift certificate and had a yummy steak dinner at my favorite San Antonio restaurant, Josephine's.  I've been going to Josephine's since Ashley was in college here and it has never disappointed.  After dinner, we went over to the old Pearl Brewery which has recently been made into an historic area with lots of bars, restaurants and shops right on the San Antonio River.  We walked along this newly opened riverwalk enjoying the Christmas lights and displays.  It is soooo much quieter than the main "touristy" riverwalk.  We walked along the riverwalk to the oldest post in Texas - the VFW.  It is in a beautiful Victorian style home that was completed in 1904.  We were warmly welcomed by a commander of the post and given a personal tour of the place.  In fact, the welcome was a little too welcoming - we couldn't get away from the man!!  We finally finished our beers and made our excuses and left!!  After that, we drove through the University of the Incarnate Word which is full of beautiful trees all lit for the holidays.  It is hard to describe how beautiful it is but maybe you can get an idea from these pictures.





A friend just sent us this and I thought it was really appropriate.

When I was a little boy, about seventy five years ago, I heard the older boys at school saying that there was no Santa Claus.  That was frightening.  There must be, because Santa had left me presents every Christmas.  So I went to my Dad to learn the truth of the matter.
 
Dad wasn’t a lettered man, but he was wise in his own way.  So I asked him the question, afraid of what he might say.  He thought for a while, then he told me this story.
 
“Son, when my Dad was a little boy, there was a Santa Claus.  When I was a little boy, there was a Santa Claus.  I guess that as long as there are Dads and little boys, there will always be a Santa Claus.”
 
When my son asked me if there was really a Santa Claus, I told him this story.
 
When his son asked him if there was really a Santa Claus, he told him this story.
 
I hope my grandson will tell his little boy this same story.
 
And at this Christmas time, three quarters of a century later, I hope Santa Clause visits you.
 
Merry Christmas

No comments: