Thursday, September 8, 2011

Remember Me?

Well, hope my faithful readers have not given up on me and my blog.  I promise I haven't forgotten you or given up on blogging.  We had a wonderful reunion with Ashley on Thursday which I posted about.  Friday we hung out at my neice's house and met some of Ashley's friends and more of our family at a Mexican restaurant in Austin.  We spent the night at a friend's house in Austin (she and her DH were gone for the weekend) and hit the road for San Antonio on Saturday morning.  Ashley had rented her house out while she was in Iraq and it was neat as a pin when she arrived.  You would never have known anyone had been here!  Unfortunately, it was really hot in her house!  The air conditioner was not working in the back of the house where the bedrooms are.  Luckily, she has 2 units and the other unit was working.  With it being a holiday weekend, we were not able to get in touch with anyone until Tuesday.  Sonny had brought his tools and gauges but he has been out of the business too long and did not have any contacts here in San Antonio.  We got someone to come out late Tuesday to check it out.  It needs to be replaced we found out today and he can not get to it until next Monday!!  In the meantime, Sonny has been sleeping on the couch, Ashley on the air mattress on the floor and me on the pull out sofa bed.  Mom was able to sleep in the back bedroom with the ceiling fan going and a couple of oscillating fans.  My back started bothering me from sleeping on the pull out bed so I have moved to Ashley's room.  If I keep the ceiling fan on high, it's not too bad. 

We have stayed busy doing little things around the house that needed fixing and doing after a year.  Her wine refrigerator was not running so Sonny had to order a part.  He installed it yesterday and now it is running.  He also has been working with her pool cleaner to get it going right.  We've all done a lot of yard work - trimming trees and plants and her yard is getting in good shape.  I've actually done more yard work here than I do at my own house!!

We're enjoying a lot of good Mexican food while we are here!  Some of our good friends from the Dallas area drove down on Tuesday and we met them last night at a good Mexican restaurant.  Tonight we all went over to the Riverwalk and sat outside at one of the restaurants.  I put Mom on the plane for Charlotte today.  She really enjoyed her visit with Ashley and of course, cried when she had to leave.

We have not had internet service or cable TV until today either!  I felt like I was in the stone age!  How did we ever survive without all the amenities we have today?  Every night we would all just sit in the den reading.  Mom almost finished reading The Help and I only have a few pages left in my Jodi Picault book.  I think Ashley has read at least 4 books this week and Sonny a couple!  It was nice but I was sure glad to get the internet hooked up today as well as the TV!

Ashley had to go to Ft Hood on Wednesday for some briefings.  She drove there on Tuesday night so I got her to post my Stampin' Queen's challenge card for me on the internet at the hotel.  I did the whole card with My Digital Studio since I just haven't had the chance to make a card while I was here.  I brought a bunch of projects to work on while I was here, but it just hasn't happened!  We've been lucky - Ashley has only had to go to work one day so far.  She will have to report back to Ft. Hood next Tuesday and start working more so we will probably start our trip for home Tuesday or Wednesday.  Hopefully, Sonny will take it as slow going back as we did coming here but I sincerely doubt it!!  I'm pretty sure when his foot hits the pedal, we'll be back in NC in a day or two!!  He's a basic home body and does not like to venture away from his home turf for too long!

Here are a few pictures from out trip:

Ashley (on right) with her best friend and college roomie, Lisa who had twins while Ashley was in Iraq!

Me and my brother, Jim
My neice, Melinda and my nephew's wife, Katrina
Sonny & I on the Riverwalk

Sonny & his best bud!

Sharon & Sharon!
Ashley and her Grandma!

Sonny & Ashley on Riverwalk

No comments: