Monday, June 14, 2021

Colonel Ashley's big day

I have been busy, busy, busy with all the details of Ashley's promotion and my healing!  We drove to Maryland last Tuesday.  I was glad when that trip was over!  I was using the walker and sure got a good idea of what handicap people go through on a daily basis.  At one of the rest stops, I couldn't maneuver the door to the rest room and my walker.  Luckily there was a nice lady who helped me in and out.  At a gas station, I went in to use the rest room and a young person was in front of me and she went in the handicap stall knowing I was using a walker ... and there were other stalls available for her to use.  So I patiently waited for her to do her business  before I could go in but oh how I wanted to say something to her!

Mom and Angela also drove up on Tuesday as did Marianne and Greg.  Marianne & Greg stayed at a campground a short distance from Ashley's house.  Two of Ashley's girlfriends arrived Thursday night from Texas.  We had a full house and lots of helpers to start the preparations.  Friday morning it was pouring rain as we went to the pinning ceremony at the Woman's Memorial.  Ashley had about 20 guests at the ceremony.  It was wonderful!!  

Ashley with two of her colleagues/friends who participated in the Colonel Pinning Ceremony.

Ashley with me & Grandmom!  This was not an easy trip for a 92 year old!

 
Ashley with my brother and his wife who came from Texas (Jim & Janie)

Sonny and I pinning the Eagles on her shoulders!  I was able to make it on stage without the walker!!  Yay!

The newest female Colonel!!

After the ceremony we all went to a local restaurant for Texas BBQ!!  Yum!  It was delicious.  Next the prep work for the Saturday party started!!  Ashley's two girlfriends who were staying with us are not cooks but they pitched in & did a great job while I had to sit and supervise.  We did a taco bar (for about 50 people) which was really good but a lot of work before hand to shred the lettuce, cut tomatoes, cukes, celery, peppers, jalepenos and cook the meat - chicken and beef.  We over estimated how much food to make and ended up with a lot left over so Sunday we started dividing things up to put in the freezer, give to neighbors, and mom & Angela to take home!!  One of Ashley's favorite bands played at the party (well, actually 2 of the members of the band, Alternate Routes.)

These are all Ashley's Rock Boat friends along with the band members.  The Rock Boat is a music cruise that Ashley has taken for about 17 years!



Ashley with her Aunt Marianne


Just a few of the friends and family who gathered in Ashley's back yard to celebrate.



Alternate Routes band members

Delicious cake from Costco

Ashley, Jodi and Lisa - our cooks for the day!  They did a great job.

Sonny and I are driving back home on Tuesday.  We stayed a couple of days extra to return the keg and help put things back in order .... and to recover from several 1:00 am nights/mornings!!  I can finally put weight on my leg and walk around gingerly.  I have an appointment for Wednesday with the orthopedic doc whom I'm guessing will refer me for Physical Therapy (again!)  I'm kind of embarrassed to tell the doctor I fell again!!


No comments: