Thursday, April 14, 2011

American Idol Top 8 2011

Well, I had a marathon American Idol watching party today!  I had taped all the Idol shows while I was gone.  But when I got back, I decided I wouldn't watch them.  Well, today I changed my mind.  I was busy working on my Quarterly projects, so I turned on the DVR and watched all the Idol's that I had missed while  crafting.  I thought that was the best way to "connect" with the contestants and see their growth.  Of course, I already knew about the eliminations and the save.  I was surprised that Pia got voted off.  I really thought it should have been Stefano.  It is really a tough year - they are all sooooo good!!  But, I think it will be a guy winning again this year - especially since there are only 2 girls left.  The guys are so much stronger in my opinion.  My favorites at this time are Paul, Scotty, Jacob, James and Casey ... well, guess that's about all the guys, huh???

The talent this year is unmatched compared to seasons past, that is undoubtable.  I remember years when contestants in the final three couldn’t even sing on pitch.  These guys are uber talented, and it is so much fun to watch them sing and grow. Plus it seems that they are getting better advice from the mentors. But the judging? Leaves something to be desired.

This week is Movie Week or “Songs of the Cinema” and the contestants are choosing songs from the movies, which, basically means anything’s fair game.  Here's my thoughts on tonight's performances -

PAUL - Old Time Rock and Roll -  I was not as blown away with this song as I was with his other performances.  I love his energy and stage presence but felt he could have done more with that song tonight.  I really expected to see him come out like Tom Cruise did in the movie, Risky Business - sliding across the floor.  I think Paul could be in danger tonight, but hopefully he won’t go home yet. I love how you never quite know what you’re going to get with him, and he’s always interesting.

LAUREN - The Climb - Miley?  Please!  Although I do like that song, I think she could have picked a better one.  She was ok but not great.  I could almost hear Simon saying, “I’m sorry, but that was a mess. An utter mess. No, really. When you watch it back you’ll see what I mean.” Can’t you hear that?  But alas, the judges had nary a negative word to say about it. I don’t get it. Are we listening to the same song? Lauren REALLY needs to take it up a notch. She looked cute though.

STEFANO - End of the Road -  Wow!  He did great - best he has done I think.  He pulled out all the stops tonight but is it too late for him or will he knock someone out of the competition this week?  

SCOTTY - Cross My Heart -  George Strait is one of my favorite singers so this song choice was great for me!  I just didn't think he did as well as he has done in the past.  He got lost under the backup singers a couple of times and even lost pitch at one time.  I wish he'd stayed with his first song choice (Everybody's Talking by Harry Nillson) and given his spin on that one.  Instead he stayed safe with a country song.  I didn’t think it did much to showcase his talents. I much prefer it when Scotty takes a non-country song and puts his Scotty spin on it.

CASEY - sings Nature Boy against other recommendations.  I think it was a mistake - it was just WEIRD!  I guess I just didn't "get it" like the judges did.   Although I will admit that this song shows his versatility as an artist and sets him apart from the others who are content to just sing whatever pop number they remember best from their childhood.

HALEY - Call Me - I disagreed with the judges on this one.  They praised all the other contestants but didn't care for Haley's performance.  I thought she was the best one except for Stefano tonight (so far).  She turned up the heat tonight and is getting better each week.

JACOB - He might have hurt himself after his comments last week. I love it when Jimmy says to Jacob, “Don’t preach to people.” Last week Jacob found himself in the bottom three after saying to America, “if I end up in the bottom three it won’t be because I sang the song bad . . . it will be because everybody in America wasn’t ready to look at themselves in the mirror.”   Really? I can’t believe America didn’t send him home after that.  He sang Bridge Over Troubled Waters - He has an incredible voice. I liked his performance but can't say that I loved it.

JAMES - Heavy Metal - Well, he definitely brought his energy to the stage tonight.  I just hope he didn't hurt his chances of America's vote with that song.  I guess he was good - I just don't care for that type of screaming "music".  That high note at the end was INSANE. in a good way though.

Simon, where are you when we need you???  I still find myself longing for Simon’s colorful commentary and his uncanny ability to cut to the chase, but Steven keeps me laughing so at least there’s that. Simon just has that innate ability to separate the men from the boys that I miss dreadfully. I’d do anything to hear one of his zingers right about now.  What is up with the judges….way too much love when it is not deserving.  They just don't give any constructive criticism.  Everyone is great according to them.

This is a hard one to predict as to who will be voted off - especially after the Pia vote last week.  I'm predicting it will probably be Haley even though I like her, she was the only one the judges criticized.  I'm guessing the bottom three will be Haley, Stefano and Lauren but that is clearly a guess!!  I could be wrong and it might be Casey down there.  Who knows???

No comments: