Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Quarterly Cards #1

 Can't believe that I haven't posted anything since July 20!  So sorry.  I am well though .... for a change!  Well, actually, my left hip still hurts a bit but I can handle that!  Some days I even forget to take the Alieve!

We had a NC Demo Quarterly meeting in Hendersonville, NC July 23-25.  Ashley drove down for it (and for her grandmother's birthday on the 25th) and we rode up to Hendersonville with my sister, Marianne.  We stopped off at a brewery/restaurant that Marianne knew about for lunch.  The seats were inside a barrel!




We arrived at our hotel around 4 pm and were told that their washing machine had broken down the day before so they were behind in check-ins - probably our room would be ready in 1/2-1 hour.  Well, at 9:00, we finally got checked in & were able to take our things to our room.  Luckily the even was held at the hotel so we were able to just take our things & start with our shoebox swaps.  When we went up to bed, the temperature in our room was stifling - had to be at least 90 degrees - plus, there was no cold water coming out of the sink!  We didn't get much sleep that night.  I reported the problems to the front desk Sat. morning.  When we went to our room Saturday night, the cold water worked BUT our room was still stifling hot.  We were given the key to another room so we hauled all our stuff to it which happened to be the room right next to ours - which wasn't any cooler than our room.  So, we called down to the desk again & were moved to another room which was cooler thank goodness!  We tried to talk to a manager about compensating us & were told the manager was not there & we would have to speak with her the next day (Sunday).  OK - Sunday we were told the manager doesn't work on Sundays!  Since we've been home, we've tried to contact the manager several times & left messages on her phone to no avail.  She has not called us back yet.  We were not the only ones complaining about the place.  On Saturday, we were given box lunches (no choice) with bacon on them that looked like it was raw so we were all pulling that out of our sandwiches.  And of course, those that don't like mayo were out of luck because it was on the sandwich also.  That evening we were supposed to get a cookie snack but because of all the complaints, they "uppped" the cookie dessert to key lime pie, tiramasu or cheesecake.  Well, they ran out of those so some didn't get any plus we had to ask them for forks and napkins!  I spoke to the Choice Hotel group to register my complaints and will get additional choice points.  (I would rather have them reimburse me for a night!)

Other than all that, we had a good time at the event.  I haven't been to a Quarterly in a couple of years so it was really nice to see all the old and new faces.  We did a Shoebox swap on Friday and Saturday nights and made a few projects on Saturday along with swaps.  I participated in Fun Fold, Masculine and Slimline card swaps.  Here are a few of the cards that were made or swapped.

I love this black and white fun fold card!  A lot of embossing went into this card.

I think this was Marianne's Fun Fold.  The tulips on the bottom are adhered with dimensionals so the top part can prop open.


I love the look of the In Good Taste DSP!


I love the use of this die to make this fun fold.


Another fun fold similar to the above except this one uses Stitched So Sweetly dies.


Another piece of In Good Taste DSP




I just love everything about this card!  More DSP from In Good Taste (I need to get this paper!)  She used the Tasteful Textures embossing folder on the Cinnamon Cider card and Stitched Sweetly for the Cinnamon die.  The glasses are covered with Crystal Effects (I think!  they actually feel laminated!)


Even the inside has the Crystal Effects on the glass!



A great masculine card.  I struggle with making them, do you?  Looks like she used the Postage Stamp punch and made it a bit smaller.  The Daffodil Delight paired with the Basic Black cardstock is just stunning.




No comments: