Monday, May 27, 2013

Happy Memorial Day!

Happy Memorial Day!  Hope your weekend was a nice one and you were able to spend it with family and friends.  I had a very relaxing weekend.  I worked on my Ireland scrapbook Saturday and Sunday on My Digital Studio.  I am trying to get it finished before June 15 which is when Stampin' Up's sale ends.   Wish me luck!!  Saturday night Sonny and I went out to eat fish at Galway Hooker.  Since I had been working on my Ireland scrapbook, I was craving some fish and chips although Sonny had the fish and chips and I decided on Flounder Picatta and it was delicious!!  Add in some Jalepeno Mac and Cheese and Sauteed Green Beans .... yum!!  Today Sonny and I decided to take the boat out.  We packed the cooler and got all our stuff together BUT when we got in the boat, it wouldn't start - the battery was dead as a door nail!  Sonny went back to the house and get the battery charger.  We sat out there in the boat at the dock for a couple of hours but it still wouldn't start.  So, we came on back to the house.  Now Sonny just has to figure out what the problem is or get the battery replaced. 

Someone sent me a really nice tribute for Memorial Day.  Please read it and remember what the holiday is truly all about....not just a day off from work, but a day to remember our real heros. I am honored that both of my children served their country (and my daughter is still in the Army). My grandfather, step-father and father all served their country too.
Real Heroes ~ By Sharon Lee Riguzzi


Memorial Day is almost here: Barbecues will be held. Parades will be marched. White shoes will come out of hibernation. The sounds of kids playing outside after dinner waft through open windows. Weekly garage-sale flyers cover telephone poles so we know where to go to buy someone else’s stuff that has cluttered their attic and basement for years. And for many, this weekend opens up the world of pools and beaches.

But with all of the excitement of the unofficial beginning of summer, I, like so many others, sometimes forget (or as is the case with so many of today’s kids, don’t know) what the Memorial in Memorial Day signifies. This day started way back just after the Civil War as a time for us to honor and remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice- their lives.

Most of you have heard of the play and movie Six Degree of Separation. I’m bringing it up because I’m guessing we all know of someone, or know someone who knows someone, who has served our country. My suggestion for the week is to ask around at work, among friends, at your book-club discussions, “Who has lost a family member in service of our country?”

The purpose? To see that we all have been touched in some way–some closer than others-or other by these heroes. In their honor, tell the family member how much you appreciate our freedom because of brave people like their fallen soldier. At the same time we can be teaching our kids that we are so lucky.

So whether or not you have kids marching with their little league team, scouts or band, make it a point to go to the local parade to give your support. And if you see an old-timer wearing a too tight uniform or a faded army hat, stop and shake his hand, and thank him too. Watch him well up with pride. Because years ago, he took action to get what we wanted: learned to recognize all of the wonderful traits each of us possesses; found the inner strength to make a difference.

And by your shaking just one veteran’s hand, I guarantee you will make him feel great – and so will you.

Now how about the new in colors????  I have some of the card stock but I just ordered the inks today and can't wait for them to arrive!!

WHICH NEW IN COLOR IS YOUR FAVORITE?  Please leave me a comment below!

Strawberry Slush :  Lighter and softer than Melon Mambo.  Brighter than Rose Red. 
Pistachio Pudding: A modern and "minty" spin on Certainly Celery (retiring)

Crisp Cantaloupe: Lighter and softer than Calypso Coral. More peach than Blushing Bride (a returning color).
Coastal Cabana: Lighter than Island Indigo. Richer than Pool Party.
Baked Brown Sugar:  Warmer than Crumb Cake.  More gold and lighter than Soft Suede.

 

No comments: