Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Today was not a great day for me!  I am hoping tomorrow is much better.  I started off with not being able to sleep well last night which is unusual for me.  I had to get up pretty early this morning to go to the Soup Kitchen.  We were scheduled to make taco salad today, a pretty easy meal or so I thought.  The local Chipolte restaurant had donated the meat so we put it in pans to heat up - it was already cooked so that was not a problem.  They were supposed to have the rest of the ingredients for us for the salad - cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream, salsa, chips, etc.  Well, the guy in charge couldn't remember what I had told him I was making so they didn't have anything taken out for us.  We were ok with lettuce and tomatoes - had plenty to cut up.  But the cheese and sour cream was frozen.  The cheese was actually an off-brand Velveeta type cheese - not cheddar that we could grate.  So we rigged up a double boiler and eventually got the cheese to melt.  The salsa they brought me consisted of 2 cans of salsa and 2 jars of marinara sauce!  I don't think so!  They tried to tell me it would be fine.  I was not putting marinara sauce in my salsa not to mention only 2 cans for approximately 150 people?????  So I rummaged around and found a box full of cans of Rotel tomatoes that I added to the salsa along with some plain tomatoes.  The sour cream ended up, after it melted, being the consistency of a thin cream.  Then there was the matter of the chips.  I was told a couple of weeks ago that they had large taco shells.  My plan was to just break them up in the salad.  Turns out what they called taco shells was actually flatbread.  Unbelievable!  So we took several packages and cut them up into strips, put a little cooking oil on them and salt and baked them.  They were ok.  Just as we were getting ready to serve, they brought us two boxes full of Dorito chips!  Much better!  We served about 135 people today and they all seemed to like the meal.   I don't think those people at the Soup Kitchen have ever been to Texas and had a real Tex-Mex Taco Salad.  It was nothing like we made today!

Remember I told you about the new montly kit that SU is offering?   Well if you haven't joined Paper Pumpkin yet  and wanna get a closer look first .... No worries - you can give Paper Pumpkin a try for one month with the Try It kit!  It's now available for order.

Here's the Try It kit info:

•$16.95 -plus shipping. (Item #132600).

•Includes stamps, a clear block, ink, paper, and accessories.

•It's all cut, measured, and ready-with instructions included.

Try it - I know you'll want Paper Pumpkin to visit your doorstep every month!



Tuesday was Digital Download Day - one of my favorite days!  Get in touch with your inner awesomeness this week with our latest downloads. 

Check out the Made to Be Awesome Framable. Download it. Print it. Frame it. 

If you've ever asked yourself what does, "LOL, BRB, IMO, or YNK" mean, then check out the FTW Stamp Brush Set. (You'll thank us later when you actually understand what your favorite teenagers are saying.)  I have to admit, I didn't know a lot of them!!

And, once you've caught up with all the lingo, use the Seriously Teen Kit to document teen life-epic style.
FTW Stamp Brush Set -- Digital Download
FTW Stamp Brush Set - $5.95

 
Seriously Teen Kit -- Digital Download
Seriously Teen Digital Kit - $9.95


Made to be Awesome template and stamps - $2.95

No comments: